Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Ambari Server Installation after Cluster Setup.

Highlighted

Ambari Server Installation after Cluster Setup.

Contributor

How to install and configure Ambari server after Hotonwork cluster setup?

Regards,

NileshP

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Ambari Server Installation after Cluster Setup.

just to make sure, you installed HDP without Ambari and you want to add Ambari to manage you cluster now?

Contributor

Previously HDP was install with Ambari but now Ambari server has been crashed.

This is probably related to your other question https://community.hortonworks.com/questions/6707/ambari-server-recoveryreconfigure.html

@Nilesh Could you please explain what you mean by ambari server has been crashed? did you loose the Ambari Database and all its data?

@Nilesh You can run ambari-server start to bring up ambari server process.

@NileshThis would be quite challenging and complex as you will have to perform fresh Ambari setup and complete Ambari Takeover of existing HDP cluster in absence of database backup. You have three options:

1. If cluster is not production and there is feasibility of cleaning up the cluster, then I would recommend to clean up the cluster and setup fresh one using Ambari. This would save you a lot of time. Even if there is some data, just weigh in time and effort trade off for backing up data and doing fresh install vs performing Ambari Takeover as explained at high level in next two options.

2. Cluster Takeover using Ambari APIs

• Setup Ambari Server and Ambari database as earlier on new machine.
  • Update Ambari-Agents to point to Ambari-server host.
  • Use Ambari APIs to perform cluster takeover i.e. add cluster, add hosts, register services and components, register host components. Refer below for Ambari APIs.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AMBARI...

3. Third option would be to perform a dummy cluster install using Ambari and then updating configs in Ambari.

Note: Ensure that you take database, install directories and config backups at regular frequency going forward and move those to another backup server or HDFS to avoid further issues due to hardware failures.

Great writeup. Thanks for sharing :)

New Contributor

I have tried ambari blueprint but i think i takes only HDP repo files. How i can use ambari to monitor/provision existing configured plain vanilla apache hadoop,hbase cluster that is not HDP one.

Mentor

This is the most appropriate way to successfully reinstall Ambari

Cleaning up remnants of Ambari Ensure no ambari-server or ambari-agent processes are running kill -9 ambari-server is a java process ambari-agent is a python daemon

Execute "ambari-server reset" to reset the database ambari-server re-install does not overwrite the existing DB. So its a good idea to explicitly call "ambari-server reset"

Erase ambari packages ambari-server,

ambari-agent,

ambari-log4j,

hdp_mon_ganglia_addon,

hdp_mon_nagios_addon

Essentially, if you do a "yum list installed | grep ambari" after removal the result should be empty

Remove ambari.repo file at /etc/yum.repos.d/ While most of the following folders will either be deleted/empty or have log files, you can choose to explicitly delete them

/usr/sbin/ambari-server

/usr/lib/ambari-server

/var/run/ambari-server

/var/log/ambari-server

/var/lib/ambari-server

/etc/rc.d/init.d/ambari-server

/etc/ambari-server

/usr/sbin/ambari-agent

/usr/lib/ambari-agent

/var/run/ambari-agent

/var/log/ambari-agent

/var/lib/ambari-agent

/etc/rc.d/init.d/ambari-agent

/etc/ambari-agent

Try using the HostCleanup.py

python /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ambari_agent/HostCleanup.py

This is inyteractive here is a short output

You have elected to remove all users as well. If it is not intended then use option --skip "users". Do you want to continue [y/n] (n)