Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Ambari Server Start failure - Ranger Atlas Tagsync SSL issue

Contributor

Hello. We recently upgraded from HDF 2.1.4 to HDF 3.0.1.0 with Ambari 2.5.1. The ranger version is 0.7.0. We followed instructions for the upgrade in this document - https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDF3/HDF-3.0.1/bk_ambari-upgrade/bk_ambari-upgrade.pdf

While trying to restart Ambari the server failed to start due to the database check:

Starting ambari-server

Ambari Server running with administrator privileges.

Organizing resource files at /var/lib/ambari-server/resources...

Ambari database consistency check started...

Server PID at: /var/run/ambari-server/ambari-server.pid

Server out at: /var/log/ambari-server/ambari-server.out

Server log at: /var/log/ambari-server/ambari-server.log

Waiting for server start.............

DB configs consistency check failed. Run "ambari-server start --skip-database-check" to skip. You may try --auto-fix-database flag to attempt to fix issues automatically. If you use this "--skip-database-check" option, do not make any changes to your cluster topology or perform a cluster upgrade until you correct the database consistency issues. See /var/log/ambari-server/ambari-server-check-database.log for more details on the consistency issues.

ERROR: Exiting with exit code -1.

REASON: Ambari Server java process has stopped. Please check the logs for more information.

This error was in the /var/log/ambari-server/ambari-server-check-database.log

ERROR - Required config(s): atlas-tagsync-ssl is(are) not available for service RANGER with service config version XX in cluster CLUSTERNAME

The default value in Ranger for ranger.tagsync.source.atlasrest.ssl.config.filename is -

/etc/ranger/tagsync/conf/atlas-tagsync-ssl.xml It is a required value in Ambari. The file does not exist in the location specified. I tried to copy a atlas-tagsync-ssl.xml file from different location on the server. It did not affect the outcome any.

I managed to resolve the problem by following these steps below:

Start Ambari and skip the DB check - ambari-server start --skip-database-check

After Ambari starts added this configuration parameter for Ranger:

Ranger > Advanced > Custom atlas-tagsync-ssl

Add: ranger.tagsync.source.atlas = false

Restart Ranger

Restart Ambari without the --skip-database-check option

Ambari started without incident.

I found the setting above in this documentation - https://secure-web.cisco.com/1QXVWuC6hnxIKVz1BA5oBaahiMPQaiuFCTEguaO-VB_gnm4uros1qSqdLeZqsQno5CwDByl...

The documentation above indicates ranger.tagsync.source.atlas value is true by default. We are not using Atlas nor are we using tags in this environment. We did not have this value set when we were running HDF 2.1.4. It might be possible this setting was introduced with HDF 3.0 and Ambari 2.5.1 during the upgrade. I wanted to report this in case others are experiencing the same issue or if this might be a bug.

Thanks,

Kirk DeMumbrane

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Kirk, thanks for reporting this issue. It does appear to be a valid bug. I've entered an internal support case to investigate further.

Best regards, Sam

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Kirk, thanks for reporting this issue. It does appear to be a valid bug. I've entered an internal support case to investigate further.

Best regards, Sam

Contributor

Thanks for the update Sam. I appreciate it.