Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Ambari can run in a singlenode?

Highlighted

Ambari can run in a singlenode?

Explorer

Hello,

In order to prepare a multi node deployment using Ambari, I wanted first run the Ambari in a VM Centos 6 on my laptop.

I'm running the server and the agent in the same node and wanted to deploy Hortonworks using Ambari.

The preparing step takes several minutes and ended in error but without any error message in the Ambari Server log either in the agent log files. So I'm wondering if it's possible to run Ambari in a single node?

Thanks

Regards

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Ambari can run in a singlenode?

Yes, even the sandbox is a single VM with one server and one agent, plus several HDP services. What error did you get?

Highlighted

Rising Star

Hi @Farhad Heybati,

Yes, it's definitely possible to run an Ambari deployment in a single-node VM.

I've done this many times during development/debugging tasks.

I'm not sure what error you hit when you initially tried this, but there are a few things to consider:

1. Depending upon the cluster you need in your dev environment, you may want to select as few components as possible, since this will decrease the installation time, which usually involves downloading packages, etc. I tend to start off with just selecting HDFS, Yarn, Zookeeper, Metrics, and then gradually adding other services as needed. Limiting the number of services deployed will dramatically improve your install time. In addition, startup issues will likely occur when all the default HDP services are run on a single VM node, since some have larger default memory requirements than others.

2. You need to make sure that your VM has access to the internet, since Ambari will use the environment's package manager in order to install the HDP packages prior to configuration and startup.

3. I generally configure my VMs to use at least 2 GB of memory, so you may need to increase that in your setup environment.

The Ambari Quick Start Guide also have some useful tips, especially with respect to using the ambari-vagrant project to launch Ambari locally in a VM:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AMBARI/Quick+Start+Guide

I find that ambari-vagrant is the quickest way to get up and running with a dev cluster.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Highlighted

Explorer

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your response. I verified the point that you mentioned above but still Ambari terminate the 'preparing' step on error.

Whar Ambari is doing during the preparing step?

Here the log file: Ambari-Server.log. I don't see any error message. Is there any other log file?

9 avr. 2016 08:45:46,186 INFO [qtp-client-20] BootStrapImpl:108 - BootStrapping hosts localhost.localdomain: 09 avr. 2016 08:45:46,195 INFO [Thread-42] BSRunner:198 - Host= localhost.localdomain bs=/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ambari_server/bootstrap.py requestDir=/var/run/ambari-server/bootstrap/1 user=ambari keyfile=/var/run/ambari-server/bootstrap/1/sshKey passwordFile null server=localhost.localdomain version=2.0.0 serverPort=8080 userRunAs=root 09 avr. 2016 08:50:48,205 INFO [Thread-42] BSRunner:238 - Kicking off the scheduler for polling on logs in /var/run/ambari-server/bootstrap/1 09 avr. 2016 08:50:48,205 INFO [Thread-42] BSRunner:242 - Bootstrap output, log=/var/run/ambari-server/bootstrap/1/bootstrap.err /var/run/ambari-server/bootstrap/1/bootstrap.out 09 avr. 2016 08:50:48,205 INFO [Thread-42] BSRunner:254 - Script log Mesg INFO:root:BootStrapping hosts ['localhost.localdomain'] using /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ambari_server cluster primary OS: redhat6 with user 'ambari' sshKey File /var/run/ambari-server/bootstrap/1/sshKey password File null using tmp dir /var/run/ambari-server/bootstrap/1 ambari: localhost.localdomain; server_port: 8080; ambari version: 2.0.0; user_run_as: root INFO:root:Executing parallel bootstrap WARNING:root:Bootstrap at host localhost.localdomain timed out and will be interrupted INFO:root:Finished parallel bootstrap

9 avr. 2016 08:45:46,186 INFO [qtp-client-20] BootStrapImpl:108 - BootStrapping hosts localhost.localdomain: 09 avr. 2016 08:45:46,195 INFO [Thread-42] BSRunner:198 - Host= localhost.localdomain bs=/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ambari_server/bootstrap.py requestDir=/var/run/ambari-server/bootstrap/1 user=ambari keyfile=/var/run/ambari-server/bootstrap/1/sshKey passwordFile null server=localhost.localdomain version=2.0.0 serverPort=8080 userRunAs=root 09 avr. 2016 08:50:48,205 INFO [Thread-42] BSRunner:238 - Kicking off the scheduler for polling on logs in /var/run/ambari-server/bootstrap/1 09 avr. 2016 08:50:48,205 INFO [Thread-42] BSRunner:242 - Bootstrap output, log=/var/run/ambari-server/bootstrap/1/bootstrap.err /var/run/ambari-server/bootstrap/1/bootstrap.out 09 avr. 2016 08:50:48,205 INFO [Thread-42] BSRunner:254 - Script log Mesg INFO:root:BootStrapping hosts ['localhost.localdomain'] using /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ambari_server cluster primary OS: redhat6 with user 'ambari' sshKey File /var/run/ambari-server/bootstrap/1/sshKey password File null using tmp dir /var/run/ambari-server/bootstrap/1 ambari: localhost.localdomain; server_port: 8080; ambari version: 2.0.0; user_run_as: root INFO:root:Executing parallel bootstrap WARNING:root:Bootstrap at host localhost.localdomain timed out and will be interrupted INFO:root:Finished parallel bootstrap

Thanks in advance

Regards

Farhad

Highlighted

Explorer

Oh by copying the log i can see there is a time out.

Highlighted

Explorer
Highlighted

Hi @Farhad Heybati, great idea to check Ambari troubleshooting guide! We'd like to accept your answer but can you share which item in particular helped you? Tnx!

Highlighted

Guru

BTW, you can grab the latest Ambari release here:

http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari/Ambari-2.2.1.1/index.html

Particularly, you might want to confirm the CentOS 6 host you prepared has the hostname setup correctly (as well as check a few other env things):

http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-2.2.1.1/bk_Installing_HDP_AMB/content/_prepare_the_e...

Hope this helps!

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here