Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Please see the Cloudera blog for information on the Cloudera Response to CVE-2021-4428

Ambari starts failed after HDF installation

I try to install the latest Horton DataFlow package with Centos7. I try the following steps:

1. Download the right repository:

$ sudo wget -nv http://public-repo-1.hortonworks.com/ambari/centos7/2.x/updates/2.4.2.0/ambari.repo -O /etc/yum.repos.d/ambari.repo

2. Install Ambari server

$ sudo yum install ambari-server

3. Ambari setup

$ sudo service ambari-server setup

4. Install the HDF mpack

$ sudo ambari-server install-mpack \ --mpack=http://public-repo-1.hortonworks.com/HDF/centos7/2.x/updates/2.1.2.0/tars/hdf_ambari_mp/hdf-ambari-mpack-2.1.2.0-10.tar.gz \ --purge \ --verbose

After installation, I try to run

$ sudo service ambari-server start

but I've got the following error

$ sudo service ambari-server start
Using python  /usr/bin/python
Starting ambari-server
Ambari Server running with administrator privileges.
Organizing resource files at /var/lib/ambari-server/resources...
Ambari database consistency check started...
No errors were found.
Ambari database consistency check finished
Server PID at: /var/run/ambari-server/ambari-server.pid
Server out at: /var/log/ambari-server/ambari-server.out
Server log at: /var/log/ambari-server/ambari-server.log
Waiting for server start.........
ERROR: Exiting with exit code -1.
REASON: Ambari Server java process died with exitcode 255. Check /var/log/ambari-server/ambari-server.out for more information.

In /var/log/ambari-server/ambari-server.log I can see the following error

03 May 2017 17:21:14,493 ERROR [main] AmbariServer:929 - Failed to run the Ambari Server org.apache.ambari.server.AmbariException: Current database store version is not compatible with current server version, serverVersion=2.4.2.0, schemaVersion=2.5.0 at org.apache.ambari.server.checks.DatabaseConsistencyCheckHelper.checkDBVersionCompatible(DatabaseConsistencyCheckHelper.java:147) at org.apache.ambari.server.controller.AmbariServer.main(AmbariServer.java:919)

Then I try to say

$ sudo service ambari-server upgrade

but nothing happens. I checked my /etc/hosts but everything looks good. Has anyone an idea how to fix that?

3 REPLIES 3

Looks like there is already an existing Ambari database with a newer schema version (2.5.0 vs 2.4.2.0). If it's a clean install, you could drop those databases and re-run ambari-server setup to get in a good state.

@Ramon Wartala If my answer solved your problem, please click the accept answer link.

Cloudera Employee

Alternatively, you can also issue ambari-server reset and then run ambari-server setup