Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Another instance of Derby may have already booted the database /home/cloudera/metastore_db

Another instance of Derby may have already booted the database /home/cloudera/metastore_db

Contributor

I am trying to load data into Hive table using Spark. Below are the first two lines I wrote.

val warehouseLocation = "file:${system:user.dir}/spark-warehouse"
val spark = SparkSession
   .builder()
   .appName("SparkSessionZipsExample")
   .config("spark.sql.warehouse.dir", warehouseLocation)
   .enableHiveSupport()
   .getOrCreate()

But the second line is giving me the below error.

Caused by: ERROR XJ040: Failed to start database 'metastore_db' with class loader org.apache.spark.sql.hive.client.IsolatedClientLoader$$anon$1@1cf369f7, see the next exception for details.
    at org.apache.derby.iapi.error.StandardException.newException(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory.wrapArgsForTransportAcrossDRDA(Unknown Source)
    ... 155 more
Caused by: ERROR XSDB6: Another instance of Derby may have already booted the database /home/cloudera/metastore_db.

This is the ConnectionURL parameter from my Hive-Site.xml

<property>
    <name>javax.jdo.option.ConnectionURL</name>
    <value>jdbc:mysql://127.0.0.1/metastore?createDatabaseIfNotExist=true</value>
    <description>JDBC connect string for a JDBC metastore</description>
</property>

I copied the hive-site.xml to the '/usr/lib/spark/conf' But still the error exists. I am using Spark version: 2.1.1. Could anyone tell me what are the changes I need to do in Hive-site.xml ?