Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Any Changes in Cloudera Hadoop Developer Certification Exam

Any Changes in Cloudera Hadoop Developer Certification Exam

New Contributor

Hi,

I was just planning to give my CCD-410 exam early next month. But going through the posts I can see that many thing have changed.

Pearson VUE is out now and now we need to give exam through Examsocial.

I can also see that now there is 4th Edition of Tom White's Definitive Guide has also come late last month.

For last 2 month, I was preparing using 3rd Edition of Tom White's Definitive Guide.

Now that the 4th Edition is out and and few new chapters (a separate Chapter on YARN , Parquet, Flume etc) have been added in the new book.

Are there going to be change in the exam topics also or syllabus for the exam is going to be same for some more time?

I am asking this because I am planning to give the exam very soon but if the exam topics are going to be changed or some more topics are getting included, then I need to re-plan and concentrate on new topics as well.

Please suggest if there have been any changes in the topics for the certification exam also in recent time or is going to change in next 1 month or so.

Thanks,

Ritz

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Any Changes in Cloudera Hadoop Developer Certification Exam

Super Collaborator

There are no changes to the certification or the exam. We simply changed test delivery partners. Although, I should mention that we no longer deliver through test centers. Now, it's remote proctored, anytime, anywhere using your laptop and a webcame. Please read the FAQ at http://cloudera.com/content/cloudera/en/training/certification/faq.html or the other threads in the forum on this topic.

to borrow from another thread:

Tom White's book is unrelated to the exam. It covers many administrative topics as well and focuses on CDH 5/Hadoop 2. The major component of CDH 5/Hadoop 2 is YARN. YARN is a rewrite of the underlying internals of the Hadoop processing layer. Whereas the original (pre-YARN) version of Hadoop was tightly coupled to MapReduce, YARN replaces the JobTracker and TaskTracker daemons with new daemons that are more scalable and capable of running processing frameworks other than MapReduce (such as Spark which is optimized for iterative algorithms and stream processing or Giraph for graph processing). Because the configuration of the cluster changes with YARN, this is something that administrators need to know.

However, MapReduce was also ported to YARN, so developers write and run MapReduce processing code exactly like they did before. This is true of Hive and Pig as well; in any event, the underlying daemons and configuration changes are not visible or relevant to developers. Thus, there is no need for a developer-specific YARN or CDH 5 test for developers since we test the role and not the products in the same way.  The only developers who would benefit from a CDH 5 or YARN or MapReduce version 2 test are developers who are writing new frameworks for YARN (rather than writing code that runs on an existing framework in YARN, like MapReduce or Giraph), and there are maybe only a few dozen such people in the entire world.

Super Collaborator

I should also add that Flume, Sqoop, Parquet, etc. have been in the exam for a long time. The exam content updates frequently as does the ecoystem -- as this is the nature of the Open Source model. However, the objectives rarely change in that this is a role-based exam and roles change much more slowly. 

To use a cooking analogy: if you know how to cook well, you can cook even if the ingredients change slightly. The underlying principles of cooking change more slowly. The exam focuses on those more permanent and more critical skills. The updates and changes are more along the lines of slight modifications that reflect changes in the tools; it's part of the developers role to stay on top of those changes and be able to "cook" well enough that they see the underlying principle at work.

Highlighted

Hi,

What happens if the exam is aborted because of faulty internet connection or some other technical bug? Or due to anything which is not under my control.

Regards,
Rakesh

Super Collaborator

• the exam session is saved every 30 seconds. We've never lost an exam yet or any questions. If you get disconnected, you can rejoin and start where you last answered.
  • we have a full video and screen recording of every session for review. We can analyze the entire session.
  • The proctor makes notes in the video so we can skip to that section quickly and review. All anomalies are flagged and reviewed by senior proctors (first) and then escalated to Cloudera if necessary.
  • the log of the exam, including your keystrokes are all logged for review.

New Contributor
Hi,

If we have marked some questions in earlier 30 mins and the connection got lost, then can we access those marked questions yet?

And what is the procedure to be followed if there is a power failure in our area? Can we take it the next day?

Where can we get all these details?

Regards,
Sharmila Gadde

Super Collaborator

Yes, it's cached but if you have a power outage of that length, you start again with a new form since you could use that time to look up answers. That's always been true including with Pearson VUE.

As we're monitoring your IP, your keystrokes, screens, face, and your ISP and tracking event logs, we can tell where the issues arise and make judgements accordingly. 

New Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

If it is a power outage of some hours, then do we need to pay the whole amount for taking exam again?

Can't we write in any cloudera certified exam centers for being on safeside???

Also please provide a link where all these issues are addressed!!!

Regards,

Sharmila Gadde

Super Collaborator

http://cloudera.com/content/cloudera/en/training/certification.html

http://cloudera.com/content/cloudera/en/training/certification/faq.html

It depends if it's your fault or the grid's. We're tracking your IP, your host, the amount of jitter and various other characteristics. It's pretty obvious when someone is faking a power outage, which is the most common scenario.

Cloudera no longer supports the test center model. There isn't a program in our space that will continue to support the test center model. If you haven't noticed already, every company in our space has either moved out of test centers or is in the process. 

New Contributor

Thanks Brad!!!