Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Any guidelines for components placement while setting up Hortonworks Multinode cluster in production?

Any guidelines for components placement while setting up Hortonworks Multinode cluster in production?

Explorer

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Any guidelines for components placement while setting up Hortonworks Multinode cluster in production?

Expert Contributor

Hi @Vikash KUMAR

I would recommend
- On DataNodes hosts place only DataNode service & NodeManager Service. (These are the workernodes and thus should be focused only on data placement and data processing).
- Place the ATS service (App Timeline Server) on a node OTHER than NameNode or Datanode.
- Dedicated server for the metdata databases of Ambari, Hive & Ranger.
- HiveServer2 should be placed on the gateway (edge) nodes (the nodes which your end clients will use to interact with hive).
- Focus on high availability for HiveServer2, NameNode (Active/StandBy) and ResourceManager.
- Focus on reading and implementing Hive performance tuning & LLAP based on current documentation from Hortonworks.

These are general guidelines from my own personal experience and should be taken as such :)
Good luck.

Adi

Re: Any guidelines for components placement while setting up Hortonworks Multinode cluster in production?

Explorer

Thanks for the reply

I do have one more query that is it necessary to configure RAID 10 to Master nodes as we have dell servers with only 2 disks so raid 1+0 needs like 4 disks.

Like we have total of 11 Node Cluster and 1 edge Node. We are planning to configure 3 master out of which one will be standby and 8 data/worker nodes. Please guide how to proceed.

Thanks a Ton

Vikash

Highlighted

Expert Contributor

For master nodes RAID 1 mirror with 2 disks is sufficient

Explorer

@Adi Jabkowsky thank you very much sir proceeding as per your guidelines, help is apreciated.