Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Anyone experiencing slow downloads from archive.cloudera.com?

Anyone experiencing slow downloads from archive.cloudera.com?

New Contributor

Im configuring a CDH 5.2.1 express cluster using Cloudera Manager. Cloudera Manager is reporting that the cluster installation is 'In Progress' but has been hanging on 'Installing cloudera-manager-agent package' for an hour.

Its trying to download 'cloudera-manager-daemons_5.2.1-1.cm521.p0.109~precise-cm5_all.deb' and I can see the file size incrementing at approx 1 byte per second in /var/cache/apt/archives/partial. The first 40 MB's downloaded quite fast. I have run download tests from the manager server and node servers to check any internal network issues but all tests are fine. Could there be something wrong with the Cloudera archive download server?

Get:1 http://archive.cloudera.com/cm5/ubuntu/precise/amd64/cm/ precise-cm5.2.1/contrib cloudera-manager-daemons

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Anyone experiencing slow downloads from archive.cloudera.com?

Cloudera uses AWS CloudFront to speed up downloads from archive.cloudera.com. CloudFront only caches files after they're downloaded the first time. Also the CloudFront cache you end up using depends on your geographical area. So the first time download of a new release of CM and CDH is usually slow. It will be quicker from the next time.

That's the theory. However, one byte a second is not normal at all. Are you still having issues?
Regards,
Gautam Gopalakrishnan

New Contributor

This was the first time downloading but I left it downloading over the weekend and it downloaded successfully.

We are working on improving this first-time experience and have a few potential solutions. Thank you for your patience and the feedback.
Regards,
Gautam Gopalakrishnan

New Contributor

1/12/2015 here. over a year since the problem was raised.
attempting to download
https://downloads.cloudera.com/demo_vm/vmware/cloudera-quickstart-vm-5.5.0-0-vmware.zip

Down to 4.8 KB/s after the first GB. my connection was 350-400KB/s initially.
Several previous attempts failed.

Master Collaborator
Don't have this problem myself, however we do recommend using a download
manager (I use DownThemAll! for Firefox but there are many options) that
allows you to pause and restart partial downloads. Often, problems with
slow or stalled connections can be worked around by pausing the download
and restarting it, either immediately or by waiting a while or trying a
different connection.

Highlighted

New Contributor

April 2016 and still having a major problem with this.

Downloading coudera-quickstart-vm-5.5.0-0-virtualbox.zip (4.7Gb) was interrupted after 10 hrs and 35%..

Resumed OK, but then dropped out completely and could not resume.

Have had to start again, but still >70Kb/sec, so looking at another 20 hrs or so.

This is in NZ, but no option to use an alternative download site.

New Contributor
That should be <70Kb/sec...