Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Apache Knox for data analysts?

Highlighted

Apache Knox for data analysts?

New Contributor

OK, Knox is not an alternative to Kerberos: https://community.hortonworks.com/questions/62130/difference-between-apache-knox-and-kerberos.html

But something is still unclear for me. With the combination of Ranger, would it be possible to define the 2 following roles? One role for data-analysts, agile, less governed, less secured. And another one for business-analysts, highly governed, highly secured. These 2 roles should have different authorizations, data analysts could probably see all the data sets from Hadoop whereas business analysts could not.

But before that, I have another naive question, could we explore the Hadoop data sets from its REST API? I mean, Knox adds security (authentication) in front of Hadoop REST APIs but could we do data exploration (browsing the data-sets) from the REST API (otherwise, ask data analysts to use Knox is pointless)?

Thanks a lot for your help.

--nick

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: Apache Knox for data analysts?

Contributor

Hello Nick,

I am not Ranger expert but I think you should be able to achieve with the Knox Ranger Plugin.

If you can browse your data sets using REST APIs you can certainly use Knox to proxy them.

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here