Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Apache Nifi (1.17.0) installation on Linux (ubuntu 18.04)

New Contributor

Hi, 

I wanted to install Apache Nifi 1.16.3 or 1.17.0 on my Ubuntu system. However, I am not able to find the required tar files from the Apache Downloads page. 

ftrg_0-1659510616781.png

ftrg_1-1659510636386.png

Can someone please drop links where I can see the nifi-1.17.0-bin.tar.gz/nifi-1.16.3-bin.tar.gz   to install in ubuntu 18.04?

4 REPLIES 4

Super Guru

@ftrg ,

You don't need the tar.gz file. You can install using the -bin.zip file (https://dlcdn.apache.org/nifi/1.17.0/nifi-1.17.0-bin.zip).

Just download this file and unzip it with:

unzip nifi-1.17.0-bin.zip

Cheers,

André

--
Was your question answered? Please take some time to click on "Accept as Solution" below this post.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

New Contributor

The problem with zip instead of tar gz is that uzip does not support folder and file permissions. Therefore incorrect permissions may be set for sensitive files in nifi directories; conf files for example that contain passwords have read for all. This creates additional manual steps to correct all the permissions. Is there a reason why we switched away from .gz?

Super Guru

Hi @LorencH ,

I'm of the opinion that if security is a concern (as it should be for any deployment) you should never rely on the permissions that come within the tarball. Your deployment procedure, automated or not, should always extract the files and explicitly "chown" and "chmod" the appropriate files to set the desired ownership and permissions.

I don't know of the reasons to eliminate the tarball, though.

Cheers,

André

--
Was your question answered? Please take some time to click on "Accept as Solution" below this post.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

@ftrg The tar.gz was removed from 1.17.0

You can find 1.16.3 here:

https://archive.apache.org/dist/nifi/1.16.3/