Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here. Want to know more about what has changed? Check out the Community News blog.

Beeline UDF

Highlighted

Beeline UDF

Explorer

Hi. I am using Cloudera psuedo mode installed on VB. I am unable to use UDF in beeline while it is working fine as Hive UDF. The error I am getting is :-

[cloudera@quickstart ~]$ beeline -u 'jdbc:hive2://localhost:10000' -f bee_udf.q
2016-09-25 17:59:27,777 WARN  [main] mapreduce.TableMapReduceUtil: The hbase-prefix-tree module jar containing PrefixTreeCodec is not present.  Continuing without it.
scan complete in 15ms
Connecting to jdbc:hive2://localhost:10000
Connected to: Apache Hive (version 1.1.0-cdh5.7.0)
Driver: Hive JDBC (version 1.1.0-cdh5.7.0)
Transaction isolation: TRANSACTION_REPEATABLE_READ
0: jdbc:hive2://localhost:10000> ADD JAR /priyanka/helloword.jar;
Error: Error while processing statement: /priyanka/helloword.jar does not exist (state=,code=1)

[cloudera@quickstart ~]$ hadoop fs -put helloword.jar /priyanka
put: `/priyanka/helloword.jar': File exists

My source code is :-

package com;

import org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.UDF;
import org.apache.hadoop.io.Text;

public class HiveUDF extends UDF {
    public Text evaluate (Text input)
    {
        return new Text("xxxx");

}

}

My script file code is:-
ADD JAR /priyanka/helloword.jar;
USE TEMPORARY FUNCTION mask AS HiveUDF;
use glvc;
select mask(product),product,city from product;

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Beeline UDF

Contributor
The path used in the add jar command is actually a local path. This command was added back in the Hive CLI days.

With Beeline/HiveServer2 being used prominently. a better ways of doing this would be to use the hive.aux.jars.path configuration. Below is the documentation link on how to do this.
https://www.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/5-6-x/topics/cm_mc_hive_udf.html#concept_cst_vms_l...

Please let me know if you have additional questions. Thanks

Re: Beeline UDF

Explorer

Hi

I have already gone through this document earlier. The problem which I am facing is that I am using Virtual Box and Cloudera is running in my VB. So I am unable to open the cloudera Manager and do the settings using Cloudera Manager. Kindly advice me, what I can do in this case.

Thanks in advance