Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Building rpm from HDP tar.gz

Rising Star

Is there a source which makes rpm from “HDP tar.gz” like “Bigtop”?

I am using ambari and HDP. I want to change some part of HDP and make rpm. Do I have to customize Bigtop or rpmbuild to make rpm?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

New Contributor

It doesn't appear to be possible to build RPMs from the SRPMs provided in the repo. (I have tried this with several of the SRPMs and none have succeeded.) There appears to be an external build tool that is providing additional support to the SRPMs.

It would not be possible to support a patched/rebuilt set of RPMs, so this may be by design. Only patches/updates distributed by Hortonworks can be supported for production use.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

I was under the impression that RPM were built from Maven directly.

@jeff sposetti, Do you confirm ?

Olivier

I doubt if you can build rpm on your own easily as HDP uses custom packaging scheme /usr/hdp/<version>/<component>. I don't think Maven is used to build these. @ashish@hortonworks.com, @gkesavan@hortonworks.com can you confirm?

New Contributor

It doesn't appear to be possible to build RPMs from the SRPMs provided in the repo. (I have tried this with several of the SRPMs and none have succeeded.) There appears to be an external build tool that is providing additional support to the SRPMs.

It would not be possible to support a patched/rebuilt set of RPMs, so this may be by design. Only patches/updates distributed by Hortonworks can be supported for production use.

New Contributor

1295-hortonworks.png

From Hortonworks's Release Notes, It seems that third party are not allowed to patch hortonworks.

This link may be the right solution How Bigtop Leveraged Docker for Build Automation and One-Click Hadoop Provisioning .

From my point of view , Hortonworks doesn't opensource its building script for 'unknown' reasons.

Explorer

hi,@Saptak Sen,had you find the way to build RPM?

I need to build the new hadoop stack too.Can you give me some advices?

Explorer

@Saptak Sen sry but have u already known how to build rpm with hdp git opensource?glad for your reply