Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

CCD-410 getting replaced by CCP-Data Engineer

Re: CCD-410 getting replaced by CCP-Data Engineer

New Contributor

How to use CCD-Pratice exam purchase price for CCP:Data Engineer certification. Could you please provide steps to follow

New Contributor
Please can you confirm the fee for CCP: Data Engineer Exam (DE575) ? I see that it is $400 on the website against ur previous message.

Candidates who have purchased a CCD-410 exam may transfer their registration to CCP: Data Engineer Exam (DE575) with no additional cost.
- Candidates may apply the purchase price of a CCD-410 practice exam towards the CCP: Data Engineer Exam (DE575) between July 1, 2015 and December 31, 2015.

Thankls,
Kranti

New Contributor

Hi Brad,

As you mentioned below,

"Candidates who have purchased a CCD-410 exam may transfer their registration to CCP: Data Engineer Exam (DE575) with no additional cost."

I want to transfer my CCD-410 registration to CCP-DE (DE575). Can you please let me know how to do that?.

Thanks,

Nagarajan V

Highlighted

Contributor

Hi Nagarajan,

Please write into certification@cloudera.com and I can help you process this request.

Thanks,

New Contributor

Hi,

I agree with Syed Rizvi.

Cloudera’s thought process does not make much sense. “It's an interesting feature of the tech industry, this desire to be certified before being able to do anything meaningful”

Why someone should not get a certification before hands on experience?

What about our college degrees? We learn, write exam and get degree/certification from universities before hands on work experience. So is that not how it is supposed to be?

After investing a lot of time and money, I recently got Cloudera Hadoop Developer certification and I just read about the Data Engineer. They both seem to very different and they both could complement each other and stay together.

Hadoop Developer can be more at entry level/developer level certification and DE can be at Solutions/Architect level certification. I do not see any reason why they should not exist together.

Also I do not buy the concept of exams cannot evolve. If that is the case, then the rate at which new tech/frameworks are coming out every month in Big Data ecosystem, within 4-6 months the tech and the exams (even DE) will become obsolete. That is why there are versions of same exam I guess.

If companies are saying that by hiring Hadoop developers their expectations are not met, then they can simply hire DE Certified consultants and pay them well. For those companies who cannot afford high paying consultants and looking at entry level developers (at a relatively lower pay) whom they want to groom, train, they can look at Hadoop Developer certified consultants. So basically give them both options and let them decide. Similar to Oracle Java Programmer and Oracle Java Enterprise Architect etc.

What Syed and me too saying is just to maintain both certifications active.

Not only companies, people like us also invest lot of time and money to learn and get certified. If that is not respected and ignored then it is very demoralizing and then they will look for alternatives. I am already beginning to look at MapR now.

So I hope Cloudera will consider and keep the Apache Hadoop Developer certification active.

Thanks

New Contributor

Hello Brad,

WR to our quote; "It's an interesting feature of the tech industry, this desire to be certified before being able to do anything meaningful".

This is the feature companies like yours are cashing on. If an uncertified engineer is hired straight away as a data engineer, there would be no urgency for a certification in the market :P

I think it's rather strange for top employers to seek certified employees giving them a position to do something meaningful later (ironically after being certified). You may rather complain about this to the prospective employers than the prospective employees

Explorer

Hello Brad,

I agree with Rizvi. Even I'm a Mainframe guy with no prior knowledge either on hadoop/Java. CCD-410 certificate is more helpful in a way that for someone like us who can enter into the Bigdata world(a key to front door!!) so that we can use this key to explore what's really inside in the room (hands on !!). So i think there is no need of completely scarping the CCD-410. Kindly look into our suggerstions.

P.S : I have been preparing for this CCD-410 and decided to take up in a month or so. Will it be availabe till that period or how long will it be availabe if Coludera really want to scrap the exam ?

New Contributor

Decision makers at cloudera should also consider the option of refund of exam fees for candidates who have registered for CCDH but want to opt out of exam due to this decision of eventually removing CCDH.

Feeling really thugged and demotivated by this decision. Because now it seems there is no point in doing a certification wihch is soon going to be deprecated. Also to clear the new certification (so called data engineer) i will need more time and experience to reach at that level and don't want to block my money with cloudera till that period.

Creating a new architect level certification would have made more sense.

New Contributor

Yes actually it will take  a lot and lot of time and resource for the new Data Engineer Exam ... but after doing CCD-410 successfully one will be

motivated  and  try to get a more practical oriented approch for Hadoop ecoSystem and will be looking forward at nex level of entry in certification...

it should be a base for DE exam..

Super Collaborator

@PrashantUjjwal wrote:

now it seems there is no point in doing a certification wihch is soon going to be deprecated.

I think there's another way to look at this, which is less about certification and more about your career and job prospects (which is ultimately the point of certification). So to turn your sentence: there's no point in spending your time learning a technology that is soon being deprecated as well. Which is why we're saying look to the future.

Cloudera's goal is to train and certify on those skills and tools the job market desires, and to create courses and exams that will help you be successful. Increasingly, the right tools and the right skills required for a given job is no longer Java MapReduce. The ecosystem tools have gotten much better, and if you're processing data programmatically, you'll likely be using Spark in the future.

By the end of the year, you won't see us teaching Java MapReduce programmatically very often. We'll teach many tools that rely on MapReduce but writing mappers and reducers is less and less the answer to a processing problem.

Just as CCDH aligned to our Developer training for Java MapReduce (a class being superseded by the below class), so CCP: Data Engineer aligns to our Developer training for Spark and Hadoop I (and Developer ...II: Advanced Techniques which will become available this fall).

For more info: Developer Training for Spark & Hadoop I
http://university.cloudera.com/instructor-led-training/developer-training-for-spark-and-hadoop-i

The Hadoop ecosystem is dynamic. In the past year or so we've seen the entire resource model EOL and change (to YARN and Mesos, etc.) and now we're mid-change from Java MR to Spark and other tools and frameworks. It's gonna keep changing -- there is no one certification that is good for all time; there is only ongoing professional growth.

And you can certainly credit your CCD exam to DE575 between now and Dec 31, 2015. If you choose to continue and get your CCDH, that's still valid and we'll always verify that you received it and that you proved, at a point in time, that you had the ability to understand Java MR, it's just that having that credential may not be all that helpful in the very near future. 

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here