Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

CDH 5.3 Cloudera Manager installtion hangs on Refresh Package Metadata

New Contributor

I am using cloudera manger to intall CDH5, on a cluster of 1 master and 3 nodes.
i get to the stage of Refresh Package Metadata and it hangs

Capture2.PNG

the details show that it is performing this command

BEGIN yum makecache 
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit, security

but when i ran the command 

yum makecache

on each nodes and it runs well.

the master went pass this stage with not errors .
is it something wrong with the configuration of the nodes?

4 REPLIES 4

Explorer

Were you able to solve this? I am also stuck at this...

Super Guru

@DataYogiyum makecache is an OS command, so if it is hanging up, troubleshooting can start, as @Osayamen showed, by looking at the Details link to the right of the command.

You could use tools like lsof, strace, pstack, and "ls -lrt /proc/<pid>/fd" to learn more about yum's status.

You could also check /var/log/yum.log for clues.

As tan alternative, if you would prefer not to have to troubleshoot yum, you could install the agent packages manually on each host with the following steps:

(1)

Add the cloudera repository to your host (in /etc/yum.repos.d)

(2)

use yum to install:

# yum install cloudera-manager-agent

(3)

Edit the /etc/cloudera-scm-agent/config.ini file and modify the "server_host" parameter to be your Cloudera Manager host

(4)

Start the agent with "service cloudera-scm-agent start"

(5)

In Cloudera Manager, Go to Hosts --> All Hosts

Click on Add New Hosts to Cluster button

(6)

In the Wizard, the hosts that you installed manually will appear in a new tab labeled "Managed".  You can then add them and proceed with the wizard.

I know it seems like a lot of steps, but it goes pretty quickly once you get used to it.

This is just another method of adding your hosts... I might suggest taking a few minutes to troubleshoot the yum command and hopefully find out why it is not returning.

Explorer

I was able to solve the above problem. But now i have another one. My oozie and Hue service are showing the following error. 

Bad : The Cloudera Manager Agent is not able to communicate with this role's web server.

And I am not able to open the Hue web link at port 8888. 

Super Guru

@DataYogi,

Glad to hear the install problem was resolved.  If you haven't already, please start a new thread for the Oozie and Hue health problem.

In there, please go to the host where Hue or Oozie is running and review the /var/log/cloudera-scm-agent/cloudera-scm-agent.log file.  The agent will connect to roles to assess health.  If a connection cannot be made, then you can get the message you are seeing.  The agent log should contain a stack trace or error associated with the failed connection attempt.

Cheers,

Ben