Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

[CDH 5.5.1 fresh - Oozie -> Spark -> Hive] - Unable to instantiate SessionHiveMetaStoreClient

[CDH 5.5.1 fresh - Oozie -> Spark -> Hive] - Unable to instantiate SessionHiveMetaStoreClient

New Contributor

I recently installed a brand new CDH 5.5.1 through Cloudera Manager in a pseudo-distributed server with 6 cores and 32 GB of RAM.

I have a spark job that works over some Hive tables that works fine when I call it through spark-submit, but it is not working through Oozie.

The error is:

Failing Oozie Launcher, Main class [org.apache.oozie.action.hadoop.SparkMain], main() threw exception, java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to instantiate org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.SessionHiveMetaStoreClient
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to instantiate org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.SessionHiveMetaStoreClient

Any clue on what may be missing

2 REPLIES 2

Re: [CDH 5.5.1 fresh - Oozie -> Spark -> Hive] - Unable to instantiate SessionHiveMetaStoreCli

New Contributor

As I scrolled further down the error message, could see an error message.

Caused by: org.datanucleus.exceptions.NucleusException: Attempt to invoke the "BONECP" plugin to create a ConnectionPool gave an error : The specified datastore driver ("org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver") was not found in the CLASSPATH. Please check your CLASSPATH specification, and the name of the driver.

Once I packed my application jar with org.apache.derby jar, the application ran fine.

HiveContext Needed org.apache.derby to create ConnectionPool during the instance creation.

<dependency>
            <groupId>org.apache.derby</groupId>
            <artifactId>derby</artifactId>
            <version>10.10.1.1</version>
        </dependency>
Highlighted

Re: [CDH 5.5.1 fresh - Oozie -> Spark -> Hive] - Unable to instantiate SessionHiveMetaStoreCli

New Contributor
Or the Jar file should be present in /usr/lib/hive/lib/, so that job has access to the jar.
Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here