Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

CM 5 Installation on CentOS 6

Contributor

Well, as pleasant as CM 4.x installations were, that's as miserable as the CM 5 installation is for me.  😞

It started with squacks about j2sdk1.7, which I had to manually download and rpm up.  Now I get the following in /var/log/cloudera-manager-installer/3.install-cloudera-manager-server.log, which seems to say that it's trying to install CM 4.6?  I am thoroughly confused and (more importantly) dead in the water . . .

Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, refresh-packagekit, security
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
 * base: mirror.5ninesolutions.com
 * extras: mirror.atlanticmetro.net
 * updates: centos.chi.host-engine.com
Setting up Install Process
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package cloudera-manager-server.x86_64 0:4.6.0-1.cm460.p0.140 will be installed
--> Processing Dependency: cloudera-manager-daemons = 4.6.0 for package: cloudera-manager-server-4.6.0-1.cm460.p0.140.x86_64
---> Package cloudera-manager-daemons.x86_64 0:4.6.0-1.cm460.p0.140 will be installed
--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Dependencies Resolved

================================================================================
 Package                  Arch   Version                 Repository        Size
================================================================================
Installing:
 cloudera-manager-server  x86_64 4.6.0-1.cm460.p0.140    cloudera-manager 7.6 k
Installing for dependencies:
 cloudera-manager-daemons x86_64 4.6.0-1.cm460.p0.140    cloudera-manager 135 M

Transaction Summary
Install       2 Package(s)

Total download size: 135 M
Installed size: 175 M
Downloading Packages:
http://archive.cloudera.com/cm5/redhat/6/x86_64/cm/5/RPMS/x86_64/cloudera-manager-daemons-4.6.0-1.cm... [Errno 14] PYCURL ERROR 22 - "The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found"
Trying other mirror.
http://archive.cloudera.com/cm5/redhat/6/x86_64/cm/5/RPMS/x86_64/cloudera-manager-server-4.6.0-1.cm4... [Errno 14] PYCURL ERROR 22 - "The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found"
Trying other mirror.

Error Downloading Packages:
  cloudera-manager-server-4.6.0-1.cm460.p0.140.x86_64: failure: RPMS/x86_64/cloudera-manager-server-4.6.0-1.cm460.p0.140.x86_64.rpm from cloudera-manager: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.
  cloudera-manager-daemons-4.6.0-1.cm460.p0.140.x86_64: failure: RPMS/x86_64/cloudera-manager-daemons-4.6.0-1.cm460.p0.140.x86_64.rpm from cloudera-manager: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor
Sure thing.
You mentioned "CM 4.6 was installed, but I installed it before I started
this process."

I am assuming you meant uninstalled it? I am not sure how kosher it is to
have two major CM versions running on the same box, probably not kosher at
all.

If you did uninstall, I think the uninstall may not have been clean. Can
you perhaps, cd into /etc/yum.repos.d and make sure there are no list files
there from cm4/cdh4 time? And, if so, move them out of there, do a yum
clean all and try the installer again.

I personally tried downloading the installer from Cloudera Express and it
sure looks like it's the CM5 installer, doing the right thing and
installing CM5.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Expert Contributor

Hi Bogolese,

Sorry to hear!

Something seems off. If you notice the version of packages it's trying to install is still from CDH4 "4.6.0-1.cm460.p0.140".

Are you upgrading an existing cluster? Or, are you starting from scratch?

Especially, if the latter, may I recommend a few debugging steps:

1. Let's make sure there are no old lingering packages from the past

rpm -qa | grep cloudera

will show you all packages with cloudera in the name, which should be good enough for now.

2. Let's run 'yum clean all' to make sure all the repo information is up-to-date.

3. You would need the cloudera manager repo for CDH5 under /etc/yum.repos.d but how that actually ends up there depends on the exact method of installation. So, let's not worry about that for now but just an fyi.

Let me know how it goes.

BTW, you shouldn't need to install JDK7 by yourself, so something does seem off.

Contributor

CM 4.6 was installed, but I UNinstalled it before I started this process.

1.  rpm -qa | grep cloudera returns nothing

2.  yum clean all was run (several times actually) -- I run it before every install attempt

3.  The installation was initiated by downloading cloudera-manager-installer.bin from cloudera.com (the Express version), making it executable, and running it (sudo ./cloudera-manager-installer.bin).  If there is something I need to do to get the repo to /etc/yum.repos.d, please let me know, but I figured the installer would do that.

Note that the original installation complaint was the the j2sdk1.7 package wasn't available, so I downloaded that from cloudera.com and rpm -ivh 'd it.

Thank you for your help.

Expert Contributor
Sure thing.
You mentioned "CM 4.6 was installed, but I installed it before I started
this process."

I am assuming you meant uninstalled it? I am not sure how kosher it is to
have two major CM versions running on the same box, probably not kosher at
all.

If you did uninstall, I think the uninstall may not have been clean. Can
you perhaps, cd into /etc/yum.repos.d and make sure there are no list files
there from cm4/cdh4 time? And, if so, move them out of there, do a yum
clean all and try the installer again.

I personally tried downloading the installer from Cloudera Express and it
sure looks like it's the CM5 installer, doing the right thing and
installing CM5.

Make sure you clicked the CM 5 installer link. There's one for CM 4, one for CM 5. It should be clear from the URL.

Thanks,

Darren

Contributor

<sarcasm>Yeah, and I checked that the power switch was on and I unplugged the machine and waited thirty seconds before plugging it back in.</sarcasm>

Contributor

Apparently this was the issue as it reported a successful install. But now CM doesn't come up in my browser at port 7180.  😞

Still working through that.  The content of the log file follows:

Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, refresh-packagekit, security
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
 * base: centos.mia.host-engine.com
 * extras: mirror.raystedman.net
 * updates: mirror.5ninesolutions.com
Setting up Install Process
Resolving Dependencies
---> Package cloudera-manager-server.x86_64 0:5.0.2-1.cm502.p0.297.el6 will be installed
--> Processing Dependency: cloudera-manager-daemons = 5.0.2 for package: cloudera-manager-server-5.0.2-1.cm502.p0.297.el6.x86_64
---> Package cloudera-manager-daemons.x86_64 0:5.0.2-1.cm502.p0.297.el6 will be installed
--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Dependencies Resolved

Package                 Arch   Version                  Repository        Size
Installing:
 cloudera-manager-server x86_64 5.0.2-1.cm502.p0.297.el6 cloudera-manager 8.0 k
Installing for dependencies:
 cloudera-manager-daemons
                         x86_64 5.0.2-1.cm502.p0.297.el6 cloudera-manager 315 M

Transaction Summary
Install       2 Package(s)

Total download size: 315 M
Installed size: 428 M
Downloading Packages:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total                                           317 kB/s | 315 MB     16:56     
Running rpm_check_debug
Running Transaction Test
Transaction Test Succeeded
Running Transaction
Warning: RPMDB altered outside of yum.
   Installing : cloudera-manager-daemons-5.0.2-1.cm502.p0.297.el6.x86_64     1/2
   Installing : cloudera-manager-server-5.0.2-1.cm502.p0.297.el6.x86_64      2/2
   Verifying  : cloudera-manager-daemons-5.0.2-1.cm502.p0.297.el6.x86_64     1/2
   Verifying  : cloudera-manager-server-5.0.2-1.cm502.p0.297.el6.x86_64      2/2

Installed:
  cloudera-manager-server.x86_64 0:5.0.2-1.cm502.p0.297.el6                     

Dependency Installed:
  cloudera-manager-daemons.x86_64 0:5.0.2-1.cm502.p0.297.el6                    

Complete!