Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

CM/CDH 6.3.2 Express : Not possible to upgrade to 6.3.3 at all ?

CM/CDH 6.3.2 Express : Not possible to upgrade to 6.3.3 at all ?

New Contributor

Hello,

I've been installing CM/CDH for customers for years now (since 5.0) and I am confused about the changes introduced with 6.3.3 around the licensing.

I used to be able to "install / upgrade to" the lastest version of CM/CDH (and initial installation came with 60 days of Entreprise License)

Many customers used to purchase licenses / professional services afterwards or during the trial & some stick with the "express" license because the cluster was used for non critical process more POC / R&D oriented jobs with time and no pressure to fix errors when things goes wrong.

Am I to understand that you cannot upgrade an express CDH from 6.3.2 to 6.3.3 for free/without license beforehand ?

Am I to understand that you cannot install an express CDH 6.3.3 for free/without license beforehand ?

Any feedback from people who upgrade 6.3.2 cluster to 6.3.3 would be appreciated.

Matt

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: CM/CDH 6.3.2 Express : Not possible to upgrade to 6.3.3 at all ?

Expert Contributor

Hi @matthieu_pitanc 

Cloudera is moving away from providing a Cloudera Express version of the Cloudera distribution. You can continue to use the existing versions of Cloudera Express but new installations such as CM / CDH 6.6.3 and later will not provide a Cloudera Express edition (although you will still be able to do a trial). 

In addition, you are correct and you will not be able to upgrade to CM 7 or 6.6.3 if you are currently running a Cloudera Express edition.

Regards,

Steve

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here