Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Can CDH be installed on a Machine with Dual Core 32 bit processor

Can CDH be installed on a Machine with Dual Core 32 bit processor

New Contributor

Hello Everybody,

Can someone suggest me whether Cloudera (any version) be installed on a machine with 32-Bit Dual Core processor ? Please let me know the machine specs to install any version of CDH (the old versions will also do).

Processor :

Minimum HDD space needed :

Regards

San

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: Can CDH be installed on a Machine with Dual Core 32 bit processor

Expert Contributor
Yes you can install Cloudera Hadoop or any Hadoop distribution on your machine...hadoop is not hardware specific for learning purposes..

thanks
Em Jay

Re: Can CDH be installed on a Machine with Dual Core 32 bit processor

Explorer

i wouldnt be that optimistic.

It will work as long as you use just plain Java and install from tarballs. But as soon as you try to use the Cloudera RPMs maybe even the CM, you have to stick to 64 Bit architecture, since there are no 32 Bit RPMs (at least not for the latest releases). 

This is because there are native libs in Hadoop which have to be compiled for your machine. However it is correct that Hadoop can live without the native libs.

But hey, by using Cloud or Vagrant you can setup a 64 bit RedHat machine (or even several of them)  in minutes ;)

And for demos Cloudera a even a prebundeled 64-bit VM for download: http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera/en/documentation/DemoVMs/Cloudera-QuickStart-VM/cloudera_qu...

br