Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Can I have Single Ranger Master Node Instance and ephemeral clusters using the same ranger instance

Highlighted

Can I have Single Ranger Master Node Instance and ephemeral clusters using the same ranger instance

New Contributor

Hi All,

Advice Needed!!!

For the above defined question , I followed the below steps but seems not be working:

1. Installed Hortonworks ranger on the master node (1st) and enabled plugins.

2. Added HDFS and HIVE policies , hive.server2.enable.doAs is set to TRUE

3. During installation of 2nd cluster I am pointing my ranger to use 1st Master Node as DB host Host, DBname, DBusername & passwd . Connection details were OK.

4. After installation , using beeline when i try to access the tables created by abcd in the 1st cluster, I get below issue

Error: Error while compiling statement: FAILED: HiveAccessControlException Permission denied: user [abcd] does not have [USE] privilege on [default] (state=42000,code=40000)

Same issue even when tried with hive super user

I have tried enabling plugin but still same issue. I dont wan't to add policies in the 2nd cluster as I want to have a presistent ranger metadata.

My 2nd, 3rd ....will all be ephemeral so all the cluster should talk to 1st cluster for Ranger which would have Hive and HDFS policies. and enable users to access data and tables based on policies defined.

I did follow the this link but couldn't get desired result: https://community.hortonworks.com/questions/81051/single-ranger-instance-and-multiple-clusters.html