Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Can MariaDB be used with Hive, on HDP 2.5.3?

Explorer

A client asks us (thus, this is a "pass-through" question) if they can use MariaDB with Hive on HDP 2.5.3.

This case is on Power, on RHEL7, although it doesn't seem like it would be a platform-specific question -- although RHEL7 by default favors mariadb over the earlier, related, mysql.

The installation guide identifies mysql-community-java as a prerequisite and it installs this through the HDP-UTILS repo; this subsequently enables the mysql56-community repo. It does refer to documentation for using non-default databases, with a pointer to here:

http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-2.4.2.0/bk_ambari-reference/content/using_non-defaul... ... but MariaDB is not included. Can this client use MariaDB with Hive in their HDP 2.5.3 installation? Is there any trick to enabling it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor
4 REPLIES 4

Master Mentor

The docs say "MariaDB 10" but RHEL7 comes with "MariaDB 5".

Master Guru

You can use MariaDB but I'm not sure can you install Hive without Mysql community repo. If you haven't installed the cluster yet, you can try during the installation from Ambari, in the "Customize services" step to go to Hive -> Configs -> Advanced and set Hive database to "Existing MySql/MariaDB", and see what happens during the installation phase. I haven't tried, and frankly speaking I'd surprised if it wokrs, but you can try.

Explorer

Thank you both - I have passed along this information to the client. I've recommended that if they have any trouble getting it working and need any follow-up questions, it would be simpler for them to post their own question in the community (and thus more easily post data about any errors they see, etc).