Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Can not connect to Secure HBase using JAAS

Can not connect to Secure HBase using JAAS

New Contributor

Hello, 

I am having a problem to connect to a Secure HBase cluster when using the JAAS config, I enabled Kerberos using the cloudera wizard.

My program is trying to create some tables, the problem is that if I set the flag -Djava.security.auth.login.config=jaas.conf the JAAS config and the keytab, and then run kinit it suceeds, but if I do not do kinit before then it doesn't works... Am I understanding things incorrectly? Shouldn't the jaas configuration get the kerberos ticket transparently without the need of kinit?

This is my JAAS config:

Client {
com.sun.security.auth.module.Krb5LoginModule required
useKeyTab=true
useTicketCache=false
keyTab="/scratch/kerberos/hbase.keytab"
principal="hbase/myhost.example.com@EXAMPLE.COM";
};

If I do exactly the same but without kinit first the I get the following exception:
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: SASL authentication failed. The most likely cause is missing or invalid credentials. Consider 'kinit'.
at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcClientImpl$Connection$1.run(RpcClientImpl.java:673)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at javax.security.auth.Subject.doAs(Subject.java:415)
at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1671)
at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcClientImpl$Connection.handleSaslConnectionFailure(RpcClientImpl.java:631)
at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcClientImpl$Connection.setupIOstreams(RpcClientImpl.java:739)
... 17 more
Caused by: javax.security.sasl.SaslException: GSS initiate failed [Caused by GSSException: No valid credentials provided (Mechanism level: Failed to find any Kerberos tgt)]
at com.sun.security.sasl.gsskerb.GssKrb5Client.evaluateChallenge(GssKrb5Client.java:212)
at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.security.HBaseSaslRpcClient.saslConnect(HBaseSaslRpcClient.java:179)
at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcClientImpl$Connection.setupSaslConnection(RpcClientImpl.java:605)
at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcClientImpl$Connection.access$600(RpcClientImpl.java:154)
at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcClientImpl$Connection$2.run(RpcClientImpl.java:731)
at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcClientImpl$Connection$2.run(RpcClientImpl.java:728)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at javax.security.auth.Subject.doAs(Subject.java:415)
at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1671)
at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.RpcClientImpl$Connection.setupIOstreams(RpcClientImpl.java:728)
... 17 more
Caused by: GSSException: No valid credentials provided (Mechanism level: Failed to find any Kerberos tgt)
at sun.security.jgss.krb5.Krb5InitCredential.getInstance(Krb5InitCredential.java:147)
at sun.security.jgss.krb5.Krb5MechFactory.getCredentialElement(Krb5MechFactory.java:121)
at sun.security.jgss.krb5.Krb5MechFactory.getMechanismContext(Krb5MechFactory.java:187)
at sun.security.jgss.GSSManagerImpl.getMechanismContext(GSSManagerImpl.java:223)
at sun.security.jgss.GSSContextImpl.initSecContext(GSSContextImpl.java:212)
at sun.security.jgss.GSSContextImpl.initSecContext(GSSContextImpl.java:179)
at com.sun.security.sasl.gsskerb.GssKrb5Client.evaluateChallenge(GssKrb5Client.java:193)
... 26 more

Shouldn't the JAAS get the ticket without the need of kinit?

I appreciate any help :)

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: Can not connect to Secure HBase using JAAS

Cloudera Employee

It sounds like the jaas.conf is not being picked up.

Could you try passing the full path to the jaas.conf to see if that works better, eg:

-Djava.security.auth.login.config=/full/path/to/jaas.conf