Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Can't access file manager using HUE admin ( 4.0.1)

Expert Contributor

I am getting the following error when I access HDFS file browser using HUE as admin:

I changed this: dfs.permission.enabled - changed to false but still getting the same error

Cannot access: //. The HDFS REST service is not available. Note: you are a Hue admin but not a HDFS superuser, "hdfs" or part of HDFS supergroup, "supergroup".

4 REPLIES 4

Contributor

Hi @prakashpunj 

Could you please try restarting httpfs service on HDFS and then check again?

New Contributor

Hello, If you not modified anything but still you can't access HDFS from hue which was working earlier then you should try this solution i.e Restart httpfs service

Contributor

Hi @prakashpunj .

below error is coming in Hue GUI? if yes then you don't have access for Hue GUI.

Cannot access: //. The HDFS REST service is not available. Note: you are a Hue admin but not a HDFS superuser, "hdfs" or part of HDFS supergroup, "supergroup".

you need to contact with your Hadoop admin team to take the Hue access control.

Thanks

HadoopHelp

Super Guru

@prakashpunj 

You need to add the admin user to the hdfs user group.   

Depending on your system, you may need to make some changes to hdfs proxy hosts.  Make it *.  You can confirm by checking HDFS Files View with the admin user.   If admin can view hdfs there, you should be good in Hue too.

In Hue, you can also add a user:  hdfs with password: hdfs and login as that user to view HDFS.  You can do the same for Hive.  In one of my recent tests, admin could view HDFS Files, but could not execute queries on hive tables.  So I just created a hive user in hue to validate it works.   

I assume you are working in a test environment so it should be no problem to make minor users/groups  changes to satisfy these access issues.  Normally you would want LDAP integration and use Ranger to manage permissions.  For example,  giving a specific user privileges to HDFS and HIVE.