Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Can't install CDH 4.8, Hangs at 40%

Can't install CDH 4.8, Hangs at 40%

Sorry if this appears to be a duplicate, I thought that Cloudera's website lost my original post. 

=================================================================

I can't seem to install CDH 4.8, I'm running the binary installer with selinux disabled.  I have tried installing several versions of hadoop and CDH in the past and I think some of those might be blocking this installation somehow.  When I run the binary installer for CDH 4.8, it gets 40% of the way through and just hangs, I have waited up to 15 minutes before and it makes no progress.  At 40% the installer screen says "cloudera-manager-installer".  When I stop it, it says:

cloudera-manager-server installation failed. See /var/log/cloudera-manager-installer/3.install-cloudera-manager-server.log for details. Click OK to revert this installation.

When I look in that log file, everything looks fine until the line that says I stopped the installation.  This is the abridged version of what i see:

======================================

Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, refresh-packagekit, security

---> Package cloudera-manager-server.x86_64 0:4.8.0-1.cm480.p0.50.el6 will be installed
--> Processing Dependency: cloudera-manager-daemons = 4.8.0 for package: cloudera-manager-server-4.8.0-1.cm480.p0.50.el6.x86_64
Dependencies Resolved
Downloading Packages:

Current download cancelled, interrupt (ctrl-c) again within two seconds
to exit.

Error Downloading Packages:
  cloudera-manager-daemons-4.8.0-1.cm480.p0.50.el6.x86_64: failure: RPMS/x86_64/cloudera-manager-daemons-4.8.0-1.cm480.p0.50.el6.x86_64.rpm from cloudera-manager: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.

======================================

Can somebody please tell me how to fix this?  I really don't want to re-build my VM again.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Can't install CDH 4.8, Hangs at 40%

Master Guru
Does your installation machine require a HTTP/HTTPS proxy to access the internet? If it does, have you tried to configure Yum to use that HTTP/HTTPS proxy as per http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/yum/sn-yum-proxy-server.html?

Expert Contributor
This usually happens when you install several versions of software because the yum cache still stays in the server and the new version of software attempt to get the upgraded package from the yum cache.

I would recommend you to clean the yum cache
$ yum clean all

Before starting installation of CDH, remove all the hadoop yum repositories installed on the system.
yum repo location: /etc/yum.repos.d
In that location you will find some cloudera repositories list like
cloudera-local.repo, cloudera-manager.repo, cloudera-cdh4.repo
Delete all the existing cloudera repo files and try running cloudera manager installer
Em Jay

New Contributor

I am facing the same problem, I cleaned all the repo/parcles but still cant proceed beyond 40%

New Contributor

Anybody faced the same probelm.. I executed all the cleanup steps but still cannto surpass 40% of the installation

New Contributor

I am facing the same Issue with installing of CDH5.0..No progress beyond 40%

New Contributor
Go for as manual installation that's easier..I still couldn't figure out
why it hangs .. but the manual installation worked..