Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Can't load data for tutorial "How to Process Data with Apache Hive"

Highlighted

Can't load data for tutorial "How to Process Data with Apache Hive"

New Contributor

I downloaded the provided zip file, extracted the drivers.csv file, and uploaded it to /users/maria_devas per the instructions. Creating the Hive database works without issue, but trying to load the CSV data yields this error:

java.sql.SQLException: Error while processing statement: FAILED: Execution Error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.MoveTask. org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.HiveException: Access denied: Unable to move source hdfs://sandbox-hdp.hortonworks.com:8020/user/maria_dev/drivers.csv to destination hdfs://sandbox-hdp.hortonworks.com:8020/warehouse/tablespace/managed/hive/temp_drivers/base_0000001: Permission denied: user=hive, access=WRITE, inode="/user/maria_dev":maria_dev:hdfs:drwxr-xr-x

It does create the file /warehouse/tablespace/managed/hive/temp_drivers/base_0000001/drivers.csv, so it did work to some extent. Yet Data Analytics Studio shows the table as being empty.

Tutorial URL: https://hortonworks.com/tutorial/how-to-process-data-with-apache-hive/

This isn't my first issue with the HDP VM's and the tutorials. I'm rather disappointed that things don't work as they should.

Update: I edited hdfs-site.xml to disable permissions on HDFS. That fixed the permissions issue above.