Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Can't select from Impala as a linked server on SQL Server

Can't select from Impala as a linked server on SQL Server

Explorer

Hi,

I'm trying to use Impala 2.5 as a linked server on SQL Server using Cloudera's ODBC drivers (version 2.05.35.1006). I was able to define a data source and see the tables from the catalog however when I try to execute a SELECT statement I get the following error:

Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 5
The OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "IMPACTIMPALAU" reported an error. The provider did not give any information about the error.
Msg 7312, Level 16, State 1, Line 5
Invalid use of schema or catalog for OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "IMPACTIMPALAU". A four-part name was supplied, but the provider does not expose the necessary interfaces to use a catalog or schema.

I was able to do the same from SQL Server 2014 32-bit to Impala 2.6.0 and the query executed just fine.

Any ideas what needs to be fixed?

Nimrod

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Can't select from Impala as a linked server on SQL Server

Guru

Hi,

The error you added on the post, was it the error you see from SQL Server?

Can you please post the error message from

- ODBC driver debug log

- Impala daemon log ( the one used as coordinator for the select query, which is the one that SQL Server connects to)

For ODBC driver debug log, please refer to:

http://www.cloudera.com/documentation/other/connectors/impala-odbc/2-5-22/Cloudera-ODBC-Driver-for-I...

and check section "Configuring Logging Options".

Thanks

Highlighted

Re: Can't select from Impala as a linked server on SQL Server

Explorer

Hi,

Thanks for your response. It took me quite a bit but I was able to read from Impala eventually. It seems that I had to use "three dot notation" from SQL Server (i.e. SELECT * FROM impala...table1).

Nimrod

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here