Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Can't upgrade Ambari on sandbox (HDP 2.2) to Ambari 2.4 due to AMBARI-18296..

Can't upgrade Ambari on sandbox (HDP 2.2) to Ambari 2.4 due to AMBARI-18296..

New Contributor

I tried upgrading Ambari on my sandbox HDP 2.2 to 2.4.0.1 Ambari version however this failed with null pointer exception in exactly the same way as described in Ambari issue AMBARI-18296 (only resolved in the last week). Ambari metrics were not running as requested in upgradeinstructions before performing Ambari upgrade.

Not sure 100% if this is the issue, but seems to be from the errors given and description.

Does anyone know when this fix will likely come in a hortonworks Ambari version, then I can retry the upgrade.

Thanks, Julian

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Can't upgrade Ambari on sandbox (HDP 2.2) to Ambari 2.4 due to AMBARI-18296..

Super Guru

The fix should be soon, but you shouldn't have to wait. Any reason you can't just back up any data and scripts and start with a nice clean sandbox?

The new HDP 2.5 sandbox will be available for download soon, why don't you try that one. Lots of things have been upgraded.

Re: Can't upgrade Ambari on sandbox (HDP 2.2) to Ambari 2.4 due to AMBARI-18296..

New Contributor

Put my response as another answer, but should have put it here. See thread for my response if you have time.. Thanks

Highlighted

Contributor

Timothy Spann - Assuming you are talking about Azure's HDP 2.5 Sandbox offering, I can see it's available now. Pursuant to your advice to 'start with a nice clean sandbox', do you have any tips on how to navigate through the Azure logistics, with regard to operations and billing?

New Contributor

Thanks for reply. I have done some custom things there, including enabling Kerberos and other configurations so not just data but I could replicate this again on new Sandbox with some efforts (also about to add second virtual data node so thought good idea to upgrade first). Also gives me a good feeling for how typical upgrades go which is also part of the reason of doing this.

How long is soon and is there an easy way without waiting? Hadn't gone down the line yet of trying to figure out how to patch myself (but feel free to give tips if there is an easy way!). Also, when is Sandbox 2.5 available as would have already considered this if available, but was being impatient probably!?

Cheers, Julian