Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Can't we Install Hortonworks Sandbox 2.5 in a machine having 8GB RAM?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Guru

Hello @Ramya Grandhi,

The latest HDP 2.5 sandbox image is based on docker. Though it says 8GB RAM recommended but it should work. Be warned that you might experience sluggish, slow operation though. You might not be able to run too many services together.

Just to draw parallel, I use HDP 2.5 virtualbox image on a macbook having 16GB RAM and sometime I see 6-8GB of memory consumption by sandbox & occasionally a slight performance hit.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

I am trying to import Hortonworks Sandbox 2.5 in Virtual Box. My machine has only 8GB RAM. But in the site it is given that HDP2.5 need atleast 8GB RAM or more. It's a urgent requirement for me. Anyone tell me the solution for this. Is there any alternative to install it in my machine.

Guru

Hello @Ramya Grandhi,

The latest HDP 2.5 sandbox image is based on docker. Though it says 8GB RAM recommended but it should work. Be warned that you might experience sluggish, slow operation though. You might not be able to run too many services together.

Just to draw parallel, I use HDP 2.5 virtualbox image on a macbook having 16GB RAM and sometime I see 6-8GB of memory consumption by sandbox & occasionally a slight performance hit.

Hope this helps.

@Ramya Grandhi

Yes you can, however, this will spike your CPU and RAM usage, thereby affecting the overall response time of your system.

You might notice sluggish performance, system might occasionally hang.

To minimize these effects, when you are using the Sandbox, ensure all other unnecessary applications/browsers are closed.

Thank you Vipin and Dinesh