Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

Can we create new user in Apache atlas 0.7 version?

Highlighted

Can we create new user in Apache atlas 0.7 version?

Expert Contributor

Hi Everyone,

I have downloaded HDP 2.5 sandbox which comes with atlas version 0.7.In this atlas version we have authentication facility so right now I can login with "admin/admin" only.

so can we create new/another user in apache atlas and use that user form login purpose?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Can we create new user in Apache atlas 0.7 version?

Expert Contributor

Hi @Manoj Dhake,

The simple answer is yes.

Two authorization methods are available for Atlas: Simple and Ranger.

The simple method is described in section 2.1.3 here: http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.5.3/bk_data-governance/content/ch_hdp_data_gover...

The Ranger Authorization requires enabling the Ranger Atlas plug-in in Ambari. Aftre that you ca add Atlas users in Ranger.

Also the Sandox contains the holger_gov/holger_gov user for ATlas demo purposes.

/Best regards, Mats

Highlighted

Rising Star

@Mats Johansson

After enabling the plugin, I created a user and add it under all the List of Policies : Sandbox_atlas, via ranger but it didn't work.

Highlighted

@Manoj Dhake

Yes, you can create a new user. It is as simple as editing a file and adding new user entry. Please follow the below.

Atlas file based authentication:

File authentication requires users' login details in users credentials file in the format specified below and the file path should set to propertyatlas.authentication.method.file.filename in atlas-application.properties.

atlas.authentication.method.file=true
atlas.authentication.method.file.filename=${sys:atlas.home}/conf/users-credentials.properties

The users credentials file should have below format

username=group::sha256-password

For e.g.

admin=ADMIN::e7cf3ef4f17c3999a94f2c6f612e8a888e5b1026878e4e19398b23bd38ec221a

Users group can be either ADMIN, DATA_STEWARD OR DATA_SCIENTIST

Note:-password is encoded with sha256 encoding method and can be generated using unix tool.

For e.g.

echo -n "Password" | sha256sum
e7cf3ef4f17c3999a94f2c6f612e8a888e5b1026878e4e19398b23bd38ec221a  - 

Similar to the above "admin" entry, you can add any user entry and this should work.

Please check the below for more details.

http://atlas.incubator.apache.org/Authentication-Authorization.html

Highlighted

Rising Star

@Ayub Khan

I understood the procedure, but not sure where to add can u tell little brief with an example please. Am new to Atlas

Highlighted

@Manoj Dhake

Is this issue resolved?