Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

Can you Run ambari-server setup After Deploying Cluster without Data Loss

Can you Run ambari-server setup After Deploying Cluster without Data Loss

Expert Contributor

can we run ambari-server setup even after cluster is setup and all is well? will running setup loose existing data in Mysql .? i guess not...

we have an issue with java home....old version of ambari is pointing to correct java and after upgrade new version is pointing to wrong home....

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Can you Run ambari-server setup After Deploying Cluster without Data Loss

Yes you can use ambari-server setup to change the JDK, please see this doc => http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-2.1.2.1/bk_ambari_reference_guide/content/ch_changin...

Mentor

you can only lose data by running ambari-server reset so feel free to run setup command. @Raja Sekhar Chintalapati

@Raja Sekhar Chintalapati - Why don't you create a softlink to the correct Java. This way you do not need to clean up what you have done?

Expert Contributor

thank you all for responding, i donot have access to create softlink...I did try to update java , but it did not go well...i just noticed some services are running on one version of java and some on different.

sudo ambari-server setup -j /usr/jdk64/jdk1.7.0_67 Using python /usr/bin/python2 Setup ambari-server Checking SELinux... SELinux status is 'disabled' Ambari-server daemon is configured to run under user 'ambari'. Change this setting [y/n] (n)? Adjusting ambari-server permissions and ownership... Checking firewall status... Checking JDK... ERROR: Exiting with exit code 1. REASON: Downloading or installing JDK failed: 'Fatal exception: Path to java home \xc2\xa0/usr/jdk64/jdk1.7.0_67 or java binary file does not exists, exit code 1'. Exiting. [ambari@lxhdpmasttst001 conf]$

Mentor

once your ambari-server update is successful, you'll need to restart the services for new java version to take effect.

Expert Contributor

@Artem Ervits yes that is the idea, but i was not able to update JDK by running above command. May be i should run setup again once i hear from my SA.

thanks for the input. Appreciate it.

Mentor

Did you stop ambari-server before running setup? @Raja Sekhar Chintalapati

Expert Contributor

yep...now all my services are using one java home....still have some issues with region server,..i will figure it out...thanks for your help

Mentor

@Raja Sekhar Chintalapati open a new thread with error from region server, we will be happy to help.