Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Cannot Update or Overwrite variables

Explorer

I'm trying to change an existing variable. If the variable was defined in a process group and this process group is then copied, I get the following message when I try to change the variable.

"Unable to complete variable update request: Failed to update Variable Registry because failed while performing step: Applying updates to Variable Registry"

NiFi 1.10

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The main point that is always communicated is that running our version in a Data Flow platform, brings you direct integration with other components. Both functional and nonfunctional (e.g. with Ranger and Atlas).

That being said, as you can see there are also improvements to the product itself, but I am not aware of a clear public list with this, because it fluctuates a lot over time (First we discover points, and then we commit many of these back to the apache project eventually).

Of course having the latest Apache Nifi can have some benefits, but overall I recommend using the latest Cloudera version of Nifi as that one has seen more testing and is less likely to see surprises.

- Dennis Jaheruddin

If this answer helped, please mark it as 'solved' and/or if it is valuable for future readers please apply 'kudos'.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

I just tested the following with Nifi 1.9

1. Create variable

2. Use in processor, start processor

3. Copy processor

4. Update variable

5. Copy entire process group

6. Update variable

This flow went through smooth.

I think the main concern here is that you are running Nifi 8 versions behind the latest, and my recommendation would be to update to the latest one. 

----

I did not find anything about this specific case, but this very similar issue was solved in 1.6, providing good confidence that using a recent version is the recommended course of action:

https://jira.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-5033

- Dennis Jaheruddin

If this answer helped, please mark it as 'solved' and/or if it is valuable for future readers please apply 'kudos'.

Explorer

Sorry but I don't get your point "8 versions behind". I still use the latest Nifi version 1.10.

I can't remember that didn't work in the previous version 1.9.2.

Ah, I somehow thought you were on 1.1 rather than 1.10.

In case you are on 1.10: Please check the documentation of your relevant distribution. As far as I know the latest versions of our platform are working with Nifi 1.9 (not yet 1.10).

If you somehow found a newer version of Nifi, it is possible you got the raw Apache version, rather than the Cloudera improved version which has fixes in numerous areas (and presumably with the integration of the version registry as well).

- Dennis Jaheruddin

Explorer

Where can I find the exact differences between the Hortonworks and the raw Nifi version? Would like to understand why I should choose HDD instead of Nifi in its pure form.

The main point that is always communicated is that running our version in a Data Flow platform, brings you direct integration with other components. Both functional and nonfunctional (e.g. with Ranger and Atlas).

That being said, as you can see there are also improvements to the product itself, but I am not aware of a clear public list with this, because it fluctuates a lot over time (First we discover points, and then we commit many of these back to the apache project eventually).

Of course having the latest Apache Nifi can have some benefits, but overall I recommend using the latest Cloudera version of Nifi as that one has seen more testing and is less likely to see surprises.

- Dennis Jaheruddin