Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

Cannot create external table from command line with hive -f with my own user

Explorer

As my own user (not system user) I cannot create an external table via a .hql script with hive -f.

use db;
create external table `table` (
        columns...)
stored as orc
LOCATION '/external/path/to/my/db/table'
TBLPROPERTIES ("orc.compress"="ZLIB");

I get this

$ hive -f ddl_create_db.table.hql
FAILED: SemanticException MetaException(message:org.apache.hadoop.security.AccessControlException: Permission denied: user=<my-user>, access=EXECUTE, inode="/apps/hive/warehouse/db.db":hdfs:hdfs:d---------
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSPermissionChecker.check(FSPermissionChecker.java:353)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSPermissionChecker.checkTraverse(FSPermissionChecker.java:292)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSPermissionChecker.checkPermission(FSPermissionChecker.java:238)
        at org.apache.ranger.authorization.hadoop.RangerHdfsAuthorizer$RangerAccessControlEnforcer.checkDefaultEnforcer(RangerHdfsAuthorizer.java:428)
        at org.apache.ranger.authorization.hadoop.RangerHdfsAuthorizer$RangerAccessControlEnforcer.checkPermission(RangerHdfsAuthorizer.java:365)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSPermissionChecker.checkPermission(FSPermissionChecker.java:190)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSDirectory.checkPermission(FSDirectory.java:1950)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSDirStatAndListingOp.getFileInfo(FSDirStatAndListingOp.java:108)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.getFileInfo(FSNamesystem.java:4142)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNodeRpcServer.getFileInfo(NameNodeRpcServer.java:1137)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.protocolPB.ClientNamenodeProtocolServerSideTranslatorPB.getFileInfo(ClientNamenodeProtocolServerSideTranslatorPB.java:866)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.protocol.proto.ClientNamenodeProtocolProtos$ClientNamenodeProtocol$2.callBlockingMethod(ClientNamenodeProtocolProtos.java)
        at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.ProtobufRpcEngine$Server$ProtoBufRpcInvoker.call(ProtobufRpcEngine.java:640)
        at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RPC$Server.call(RPC.java:982)
        at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$Handler$1.run(Server.java:2351)
        at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$Handler$1.run(Server.java:2347)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at javax.security.auth.Subject.doAs(Subject.java:422)
        at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1869)
        at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$Handler.run(Server.java:2347)
)

Notice it's tryign to access /apps/hive/warehouse/db.db, which I correctly don't have access to with this user, therefore the design requirement to use external tables with another path which I do have access to.

It works fine from Ambari, but not from command line from where I need to script/automate it.

1 REPLY 1

Explorer

It works using beeline instead, with same kinit (as me). Any idea, why it works with beeline and not with hive command?

; ;