Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Cloudera 5.7.2 / HBase: How to Set hfile.format.version using Cloudera Manager?

Cloudera 5.7.2 / HBase: How to Set hfile.format.version using Cloudera Manager?

New Contributor

With CDH 5.7.2-1.cdh5.7.2.po.18, I am trying to use Cloudera Manager to configure HBase to use visibility labels and authorizations, as described in the post below:

Cloudera Manager Hbase Visibility Labels

Using Cloudera Manager, I have successfully updated the values of the following properties:

• hbase.coprocessor.region.classes: Set to org.apache.hadoop.hbase.security.visibility.VisibilityController
  • hbase.coprocessor.master.classes: Set to org.apache.hadoop.hbase.security.visibility.VisibilityController
  • hbase.security.authorization: Set to true

Unfortunately, for whatever reason, Cloudera Manager doesn't expose the hfile.format.version variable, so I am unable to set it to 3.

When I restart HBase after updating only the three aforementioned variables, errors such as the following appear in the role log:

ERROR org.apache.hadoop.hbase.coprocessor.CoprocessorHost: The coprocessor org.apache.hadoop.hbase.security.visibility.VisibilityController threw java.lang.RuntimeException: A minimum HFile version of 3 is required to persist security labels. Consider setting hfile.format.version accordingly.

I'd love to set hfile.format.version accordingly, but... how would I do that, when it's not exposed in Cloudera Manager? For example, is there some config file on the file system that I can modify? Cloudera Manager has to be getting the current settings from somewhere.

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: Cloudera 5.7.2 / HBase: How to Set hfile.format.version using Cloudera Manager?

Cloudera Employee

This is not explicitly exposed in Cloudera Manager HBase configuration section in CDH5.x.x but can set using the Safety value for hbase-site.xml

CM > HBase > Configuration > HBase Service Advanced Configuration Snippet (Safety Valve) for hbase-site.xml > Add the property and value > Save > (Rolling) Restart HBase service to take effect