Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Cloudera ODBC - SQL double quoted

Cloudera ODBC - SQL double quoted

New Contributor

Hi all,

Using Cloudera ODBC, the entering SQL Select has column double-quoted, as:

select "bitrate_d"."day" "daykey" , "appli"."nameappli" "nameapplikey" , sum("bitrate_d"."bytes") "bytes"  from "Impala"."test"."bitrate_d" "bitrate_d", "Impala"."test"."appli" "appli" where "bitrate_d"."day" between to_date(date_add(concat('2013', '-01-01'), etc...

This generate a parsing error:

[Cloudera][ImpalaODBC] (110) Error while executing a query in Impala: [HY000] : AnalysisException: Syntax error at: select "bitrate_d"."day" "daykey" , "appli"."nameappli" "nameapplikey" , etc...

If I manually remove the double-quote the statement works. Is there a way to configure the ODBC to accept the original Select clause ?

Thank you

Gabriel

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Cloudera ODBC - SQL double quoted

Master Collaborator

I'm afraid that is not possible.

Impala uses the backtick "`" for quoted identifiers (not configurable). Impala doesn't support single or double quotes for identifiers because of the problem of ambiguity (is it a string literal or an identifier?). Yes, the ambiguity can be resolved in certain special circumstances, but special casing is more confusing than consistency imo.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

New Contributor
There are ways to do this in different applications and I got it working from OBIEE for example. Which application are you querying from?

New Contributor
Hi, I am looking to get this working from OBIEE. Can you please help!

New Contributor

I got it working with the Progress DataDirect Impala ODBC driver with this suggestion:

“On the database features table in the BI Admin tool for the Impala source, make sure that the “IDENTIFIER_QUOTE_CHAR” is set to blank.”

Which driver are you trying?

New Contributor
Hi, I am using the HIVE ODBC driver.
Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here