Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here. Want to know more about what has changed? Check out the Community News blog.

Cloudera installation dfs.datanode.max.locked.memory issue on LXC

Cloudera installation dfs.datanode.max.locked.memory issue on LXC

New Contributor

I have created virtual box, ubuntu 14.04LTS environment on my mac machine.
In virtual box of ubuntu, I've created cluster of three lxc-containers. One for master and other two nodes for slaves.

On master, I have started installation of CDH5 using following link http://archive.cloudera.com/cm5/installer/latest/cloudera-manager-installer.bin

I have also made necessary changes in the /etc/hosts including FQDN and hostnames. Also created passwordless user named as "ubuntu".

While setting up the CDH5, during installation I'm constantly facing following error on datanodes. Max locked memory size: dfs.datanode.max.locked.memory of 922746880 bytes is more than the datanode's available RLIMIT_MEMLOCK ulimit of 65536 bytes.

Exception in secureMain: java.lang.RuntimeException: Cannot start datanode because the configured max locked memory size (dfs.datanode.max.locked.memory) of 922746880 bytes is more than the datanode's available RLIMIT_MEMLOCK ulimit of 65536 bytes.
at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.DataNode.startDataNode(DataNode.java:1050)
at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.DataNode.<init>(DataNode.java:411)
at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.DataNode.makeInstance(DataNode.java:2297)
at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.DataNode.instantiateDataNode(DataNode.java:2184)
at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.DataNode.createDataNode(DataNode.java:2231)
at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.DataNode.secureMain(DataNode.java:2407)
at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.DataNode.main(DataNode.java:2431)

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Cloudera installation dfs.datanode.max.locked.memory issue on LXC

Hi,

What version of CM are you using? This sounds like a bug that was fixed in CM 5.3.1.

If you upgraded from CM4 to 5, you can also hit this error if you miss the step to hard restart CM agents, though I don't think that's relevant here.

Thanks,
Darren
Highlighted

Re: Cloudera installation dfs.datanode.max.locked.memory issue on LXC

Expert Contributor

Try using

# wget http://archive-primary.cloudera.com/cm5/installer/5.3.2/cloudera-manager-installer.bin

# chmod +x cloudera-manager-installer.bin

# ./cloudera-manager-installer.bin

Should work better for you.