Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Column level metadata

Column level metadata

New Contributor

Hi All 

im looking for a little guidance, i have a requirement to load column/field level descriptions of CSV files so they are searchable. As a bit of context we will usually create external hive tables on top of these files for use by our analysts.

Is there a way to load this business metadata into navigator? we have full descriptions available from a copybook or metadata sheet, i was assuming i could write some service to call the navigator API to set these values for each column but i cannot see any documentation on how i might be able to do this.

Can someone help?

1 REPLY 1

Re: Column level metadata

Rising Star

Hi,

Take a look at the API tutorial, it shows how to query entities in Navigator and how to apply metadata to them.

http://cloudera.github.io/navigator/apidocs/v3/tutorial.html

Start by crafting a query that selects the column you are interested. The Cloudera Navigator web UI is useful for this, make sure to click on show full query for a hint as to the query you can pass to the API. If for example you wanted to get the column 'orders' from the table 'c_customers' in database 'default':

+originalName:orders +parentPath:"/default/c_customers" +type:Field +sourceType:Hive +deleted:False

Using +deleted:False in your query ensures you get the current entity and not a previously deleted one. Once your familiar with finding the column you want to tag you can make a PUT request to upload the desired metadata. How to do this is covered in the documentation link I included above.

Regards,

Jim