Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Config settings set in hive (via ambari) are applied in beeline but not Zeppelin/PySpark?

Config settings set in hive (via ambari) are applied in beeline but not Zeppelin/PySpark?

Contributor

Hi,

I set the hive.mapred.supports.subdirectories property to true in hive ambari config. When I now go to beeline and run a SELECT on a table that is feeding from HDFS data in subdirectories it works as expected but when I run the same query in Zeppelin using the Spark interpreter fails to return because it thinks hive.mapred.supports.subdirectories = false.

Why isn't the Spark (SQL) interpreter in Zeppelin picking up the correct hive config set in ambari?

Any insights much appreciated,

MPH

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Config settings set in hive (via ambari) are applied in beeline but not Zeppelin/PySpark?

@MPH Can you try using spark-shell and see if this is working?

Re: Config settings set in hive (via ambari) are applied in beeline but not Zeppelin/PySpark?

Contributor

@Kshitij Badani I've tried in the spark-shell and it also fails because hive.mapred.supports.subdirectories = false. So the question is now why does beeline take the config from ambari but not the spark-shell?

Expert Contributor

Could you try the following?

spark-sql --hiveconf hive.mapred.supports.subdirectories=true

Expert Contributor

In the Ambari, visit `Spark` -> `Configs` -> `Custom spark-hive-site-override` and add there for Spark.

hive.mapred.supports.subdirectories=true
The spark-shell works like the following.
scala> sql("set hive.mapred.supports.subdirectories").show(false)
+-----------------------------------+-----+
|key                                |value|
|hive.mapred.supports.subdirectories|true |
Highlighted

Expert Contributor

When connecting via beeline did that use HiveServer2 or SparkThriftServer?

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here