Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

Connect Hive to SAP BW

New Contributor

Hello,

actually we are looking for a possibility to connect our SAP BW 7.5 without HANA to a Hadoop Hive table.
We would like to load the data from the hive table into the SAP BW.
At the Moment I have no experience in Hadoop and Hive.

Is it possible to connect to the Hive table by JDBC?

Or is the only Option to connect by data Service or are there any other Options to connect?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Regards,
Nina

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Connect Hive to SAP BW

Hi @Nina Lippick. Sqoop is the simplest method to connect to any RDBMS data source. It leverages JDBC. You can also use Nifi to move data between Hive and a RDBMS. Specifically you can leverage the GetHive and QueryDatabaseTable processors. HiveServer2 accepts both JDBC and ODBC connections.

Super Guru

Apache NiFi can move data between them very well. Most people move the SAP BW data to Hive and do queries there.

There are some other intergration options:

https://blogs.sap.com/2017/04/05/sap-meets-big-data-sap-hana-and-hadoop-ecosystem/

New Contributor

Thanks for your replys.

For a JDBC connect is it necessary to have a specific connector?

So if I unterstand it right, we just can connect by jdbc direct on the HIVE table.

@Timothy Spann the attached Note is for SAP HANA is this also available for SAP BW without a HANA database?

New Contributor

@Scott Shaw

Is it only for HiveServer2 possible to build a JDBC connection between Hadoop/Hive and SAP BW?

So if I unterstand it right, we just can connect by jdbc direct on the HIVE table.

@Nina Lippick HiverServer2 is what you connect to in order to access Hive tables via odbc or jdbc. You connect to H2 to see all your Hive tables. The jdbc connection information can be found in the Hive service details in Ambari. You can download the jdbc driver for Hive from our add-ons download page https://hortonworks.com/downloads/#data-platform

In order to connect to SAP you'll need to use the ngdbc.jar which can be found on any SAP client machine. This driver will need to be placed in the sqoop library directory or, if using Nifi, you'll place it in a directory that the nifi user has access to.