Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

Could Not Enable Ranger for HBase in HDP2.5

Expert Contributor

Hi,

I got the below error when clicking "Test Connection" in Ranger for HBase in HDP 2.5. I already have JCE unlimited strength in my jre/lib/security directory.

2016-11-29 14:56:06,992 [timed-executor-pool-0] ERROR org.apache.ranger.plugin.util.PasswordUtils (PasswordUtils.java:127) - Unable to decrypt password due to error
javax.crypto.IllegalBlockSizeException: Input length must be multiple of 8 when decrypting with padded cipher
    at com.sun.crypto.provider.CipherCore.doFinal(CipherCore.java:913)
    at com.sun.crypto.provider.CipherCore.doFinal(CipherCore.java:824)
    at com.sun.crypto.provider.PBES1Core.doFinal(PBES1Core.java:416)
    at com.sun.crypto.provider.PBEWithMD5AndDESCipher.engineDoFinal(PBEWithMD5AndDESCipher.java:316)
    at javax.crypto.Cipher.doFinal(Cipher.java:2165)
    at org.apache.ranger.plugin.util.PasswordUtils.decryptPassword(PasswordUtils.java:112)
    at org.apache.ranger.plugin.client.BaseClient.login(BaseClient.java:113)
    at org.apache.ranger.plugin.client.BaseClient.<init>(BaseClient.java:59)
    at org.apache.ranger.plugin.client.BaseClient.<init>(BaseClient.java:51)
    at org.apache.ranger.services.hbase.client.HBaseClient.<init>(HBaseClient.java:56)
    at org.apache.ranger.services.hbase.client.HBaseClient.connectionTest(HBaseClient.java:102)
    at org.apache.ranger.services.hbase.client.HBaseResourceMgr.connectionTest(HBaseResourceMgr.java:48)
    at org.apache.ranger.services.hbase.RangerServiceHBase.validateConfig(RangerServiceHBase.java:59)
    at org.apache.ranger.biz.ServiceMgr$ValidateCallable.actualCall(ServiceMgr.java:560)
    at org.apache.ranger.biz.ServiceMgr$ValidateCallable.actualCall(ServiceMgr.java:547)
    at org.apache.ranger.biz.ServiceMgr$TimedCallable.call(ServiceMgr.java:508)
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

3 REPLIES 3

Expert Contributor
@yjiang

Are you using full kerberos principal in your repo configuration? And please make sure you are using FQDN everywhere for hostname instead of ip addr. Is it possible to share your repo config?

Expert Contributor

@spolavarapu No. I am not using Kerberos. This is for demo purpose. Is Kerberos an requirement for Ranger / HBase integration to work?

I attached my repo config.

9921-ranger-hbase-config.png

New Contributor

@yjiang, Can you first check which version of "java" ranger is using and from which directory, that you can check by executing command "ps -ef | grep rangeradmin" (normally it is "/usr/jdk64/<--jdk-version-->").

Please make sure that you are replacing correct version of JCE unlimited in that directory.