Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

Creating Hive table from trucks.csv file fails on INSERT step

New Contributor

I believe I've followed the steps from the tutorial exactly:

1. Downloaded geolocation.zip and unzipped (on Windows).
  2. Uploaded to the two files, trucks.zip and geolocation.zip to HDFS in maria_dev/data and made data directory writeable by all (to VMWare Ambari).
  3. Gone to Hive View 2.0 / Create Table / Upload Table / from HDFS / path to file / first row is headers / Preview (looks good) / final Upload Table button.

I get this error on the Insert-from-temp-to-actual step: java.sql.SQLException: Error while processing statement: FAILED: Execution Error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.tez.TezTask

I've the following variations, all with the same results: Hive View 1.0, file contains line endings, load from local machine.

5 REPLIES 5

Guru

Hi @Charlie Halpern-Hamu

I've just downloaded a fresh copy of the HDP 2.6.1 sandbox, and attempted to load the geolocation's truck.csv into HDFS and into Hive using the Hive View 2.0 and following the steps in the tutorial you are using. With the maria_dev user, I was able to successfully load the data into both HDFS and Hive without a problem. I've seen errors around this twice in the past, once with vmware (can you try with VirtualBox?) and another with not quite enough ram assigned to the VM. If you can confirm you have at least 8GB assigned to the VM, and can paste the entire error line, that could help us find a resolution

New Contributor

VirtualBox worked for me. And maybe VMWare would have worked as well, had I reset to the original machine image. Thanks.

New Contributor

where can I download trucks.csv and geolocation csv

New Contributor

Please guide where can I download geolocation andTrucks csv files.

New Contributor

Hi @Siva,

There is a hotlink in the tutorial, right at the point you are asked to download:

STEP 1 – DOWNLOAD AND EXTRACT SENSOR DATA FILES

1. Download the sample sensor data contained in a compressed (.zip) folder here:

Geolocation.zip

2. Save the Geolocation.zip file to your computer, then extract the files. You should see a Geolocation folder that contains the following files:

geolocation.csv – This is the collected geolocation data from the trucks. It contains records showing truck location, date, time, type of event, speed, etc.

trucks.csv – This is data was exported from a relational database and it shows information on truck models, driverid, truckid, and aggregated mileage info.

The link goes here:

https://app.box.com/HadoopCrashCourseData

; ;