Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

DBCPConnectionPool controller service for SQL Server, jdbc exception

DBCPConnectionPool controller service for SQL Server, jdbc exception

Expert Contributor

NiFi 1.1.1 tested on both Windows 7 and RHEL 7.

The background thread can be found here.

I have created a DBCPConnectionPool controller service pointing to a SQL Server db, I am able to fetch data from a table and write it to the local disk(ExecuteSQL -> ConvertAvroToJSON -> PutFile).

13704-dbcpconnectionpool-controller-service.png

The challenge arises when I use the pool as a property in my custom processor. In the processor's code, I need to invoke a function in the db but this lands into a SQLException pointing to the JDBC driver. Note that the same driver functions properly in a standalone Java code(provided in the background thread to avoid cluttering this post) and I get the return value from the function.

Process or SQL exception in <configure logger template to pick the code location>
2017-03-17 09:25:30,717 ERROR [Timer-Driven Process Thread-6] c.s.d.processors.SQLServerCDCProcessor 
org.apache.nifi.processor.exception.ProcessException: Coudln't retrieve the max lsn for the db test
at com.datalake.processors.SQLServerCDCProcessor$SQLServerCDCUtils.getMaxLSN(SQLServerCDCProcessor.java:692) ~[nifi-NiFiCDCPoC-processors-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT]
at com.datalake.processors.SQLServerCDCProcessor.getChangedTableQueries(SQLServerCDCProcessor.java:602) ~[nifi-NiFiCDCPoC-processors-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT]
at com.datalake.processors.SQLServerCDCProcessor.onTrigger(SQLServerCDCProcessor.java:249) ~[nifi-NiFiCDCPoC-processors-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT]
at org.apache.nifi.processor.AbstractProcessor.onTrigger(AbstractProcessor.java:27) [nifi-api-1.1.1.jar:1.1.1]
at org.apache.nifi.controller.StandardProcessorNode.onTrigger(StandardProcessorNode.java:1099) [nifi-framework-core-1.1.1.jar:1.1.1]
at org.apache.nifi.controller.tasks.ContinuallyRunProcessorTask.call(ContinuallyRunProcessorTask.java:136) [nifi-framework-core-1.1.1.jar:1.1.1]
at org.apache.nifi.controller.tasks.ContinuallyRunProcessorTask.call(ContinuallyRunProcessorTask.java:47) [nifi-framework-core-1.1.1.jar:1.1.1]
at org.apache.nifi.controller.scheduling.TimerDrivenSchedulingAgent$1.run(TimerDrivenSchedulingAgent.java:132) [nifi-framework-core-1.1.1.jar:1.1.1]
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511) [na:1.8.0_71]
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.runAndReset(FutureTask.java:308) [na:1.8.0_71]
at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$301(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:180) [na:1.8.0_71]
at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:294) [na:1.8.0_71]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142) [na:1.8.0_71]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617) [na:1.8.0_71]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) [na:1.8.0_71]
Caused by: java.sql.SQLFeatureNotSupportedException: registerOutParameter not implemented
at java.sql.CallableStatement.registerOutParameter(CallableStatement.java:2613) ~[na:1.8.0_71]
at com.datalake.processors.SQLServerCDCProcessor$SQLServerCDCUtils.getMaxLSN(SQLServerCDCProcessor.java:677) ~[nifi-NiFiCDCPoC-processors-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT]
... 14 common frames omitted

I suspect that the Controller Service is not configured properly - it can execute select queries but when a code invokes a function, it throws an Exception. What am I missing ?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: DBCPConnectionPool controller service for SQL Server, jdbc exception

The DBCPConnectionPool uses Apache DBCP to pool connections, statements, etc. Your standalone Java code does not use DBCP, so I suspect there is a bug in DBCP or some additional configuration needed to support CallableStatements.

Highlighted

Expert Contributor

I have circumvented the issue by using a select instead of a CallableStatement :(

New Contributor

could you please share how did you do that

Expert Contributor

Did what - the configuration or ... ? The original question has link to another question that has the config details.

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here