Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Data Visualization - Users & Groups

Hello,
it's not clear to me how users are managed in CDP Public Cloud / Machine Learning / Cloudera Data Visualization.

It's ok I can create a new user from the the DataViz menu, but in this case, how are they linked to users that I manage from Management Console / User Management in Control Pane?
In DataViz Users & Groups, do I have to create a new user with same workload username and password assigned to the user in the User Management section?
Are these users synchronized somehow?

I'm asking because once a user has been created in DataViz, I am not able to change its password, so I'm wondering if somehow they are synchronized and can be managed from the User Management section in Management Console.

Thank you,
Andrea

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Cloudera Employee

Inside the CML environment CDV does not authenticate users itself but relies on CML passing on the result of the authentication.

This is only slightly more than the username. When an authenticated request is received a "remote" user is created in CDV for the user authenticated by CML.

This user shows up in the CDV users list, but unlike the users you create explicitly, its password is not editable, as you have noticed.

There is no user list synchronization between CML and CDV. The users are added to CDV on their first visit.

Starting with CDV 7.1.4, CML-autheticated users are assigned to one of the "vizcml-rw" or "vizcml-ro" groups. CML admins and CML project collaborators are assigned to the first group and will get admin capabilities, while other users are added to the second group and are assigned the visual consumer role.

If more fine-grained permissions are needed, one can create additional groups from the available remote users.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Cloudera Employee

Inside the CML environment CDV does not authenticate users itself but relies on CML passing on the result of the authentication.

This is only slightly more than the username. When an authenticated request is received a "remote" user is created in CDV for the user authenticated by CML.

This user shows up in the CDV users list, but unlike the users you create explicitly, its password is not editable, as you have noticed.

There is no user list synchronization between CML and CDV. The users are added to CDV on their first visit.

Starting with CDV 7.1.4, CML-autheticated users are assigned to one of the "vizcml-rw" or "vizcml-ro" groups. CML admins and CML project collaborators are assigned to the first group and will get admin capabilities, while other users are added to the second group and are assigned the visual consumer role.

If more fine-grained permissions are needed, one can create additional groups from the available remote users.

Community Manager

@AndreaCavenago, Did the response assist in resolving your query? If it did, kindly mark the relevant reply as the solution, as it will aid others in locating the answer more easily in the future.

Regards,

Vidya Sargur,
Community Manager

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.
Learn more about the Cloudera Community: