Can you please let us know if we can disable following options which are under "REFRESH" in Hue webui. And also, please let us know how to disable it?
Perform incremental metadata update
Invalidate all metadata and rebuild index
Quick answer is:
The only thing that can be restricted in Hue is access to an application/menu item. There is no fine-grained control inside the applications that run in Hue which means there is no easy way to just disable the "Refresh" button.
May I please ask what is the business requirement for this request?
The "Refresh" button executes INVALIDATE METADATA <table> / REFRESH <table> Impala statements in the background. Even we disable the GUI element, the users can still manually execute the above statements as an Impala query from Hue.
Thank you for your response. appreciate it.
Since we are planning to provide Hue URL to users and at a same time we want to ensure that users must not be able to execute refresh table or invalidate metadata command from HUE UI.
Can we not disable this from UI at all?
Would you be able to tell what privileges are required for the users to be able to execute above commands. That would be very helpful.
FYI, we have a feature request open for allowing user to configure the button appearance in the Hue UI.
I have done some further research and found out a manual workaround. It involves modifying the parcel file though. See below for the details:
1. Locate the file "assist.mako" on the Hue host(s). By default, the file is located in the "/opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH/lib/hue/desktop/core/src/desktop/templates" directory.
2. Make a backup copy of "assist.mako" file.
3. Search for a line which contains the string "ask-for-invalidate-content " and make sure the line starts with "<a class="inactive-action"
4. Delete the line from the same file.
5. Save the file.
6. Restart the Hue service.
7. Log into Hue UI and check if the Refresh button is removed.
Notice: The modification will be permanent unless you apply or reactivate a new parcel on the hosts running Hue.
Thanks and hope this helps,