Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Does Hortonworks provide an i686 CPU version of the Sandbox?

New Contributor

As soon as I start Hortonworks sandbox on the virtual machine, I get the message "This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU. Unable to Boot - Please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU". The BIOS setting has already been enabled for my machine. Does Hortonworks provide an i686 CPU version of the Sandbox?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Rupak Chakraborty

following are the suggestion:-

1) 64-bit guests need hardware-virtualzation enabled in the hosts bios. Enable Intel VT-x/AMD-V from BIOS.

2) when creating the 64-bit guest you must select 64-bit in General -> Basic -> version.

3) Try with other version of OS.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Contributor

Rupak,

Unfortunately we don't; main reason being the 4GB limitation for 32bit OS, HDP requires at least 8GB of RAM to running smoothly.

Are you using VMWare workstation or Virtual Box? Remember even if your physical machine has a x86-64 cpu, the OS on which you run the virtual host must also be 64bit, which I'm suspecting is why you still have the issue even after turning on the BIOS cpu options.

I would suggest looking to Azure Market place, HDP 2.4 sandbox is available and you can get a 30 day free trial.

Super Guru

I think No.

Check this - https://hortonworks.com/wp-content/uploads/unversioned/pdfs/InstallingHortonworksSandbox2onWindowsus...

Below are sandbox details.

System$Information
Operating!System!and!Java!versions!that!the!Sandbox has!installed.!
OS$Version$
CentOS!release!6.7!(Final)
LSB_VERSION=base64.06amd64:base64.06noarch:core64.06amd64:core64.06
noarch:graphics64.06amd64:graphics64.06noarch:printing64.06amd64:printing64.06noarch
*Java$Version
java!version!"1.7.0_95"
OpenJDK!Runtime!Environment!(rhel62.6.4.0.el6_76x86_64!u956b00)
OpenJDK!646Bit!Server!VM!(build!24.956b01,!mixed!mode)
*Updated'from'previous'version
Image$File$Sizes
VMware!– 9 GB
Virtualbox!– 9 GB

New Contributor

Hi all, @Sagar Shimpi @Alex Gauthier

After importing the Sandbox (HDP 2.4) by the VirtualBox, I am getting the same error message above ("This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU. Unable to Boot - Please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU") , although my CPU info shows this:

64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

BTW, I am using VirtualBox on to of Windows 10, and the settings of HDP 2.4 after importing showed ubunto 32-bit, running it showed CentOS 64, then the error messsage poped out.

I am not sure what the problem is?

Rawi

Explorer

Hi,

I am also having the similar situation. Any Solution?

Thanks Inadvance

@Rupak Chakraborty

following are the suggestion:-

1) 64-bit guests need hardware-virtualzation enabled in the hosts bios. Enable Intel VT-x/AMD-V from BIOS.

2) when creating the 64-bit guest you must select 64-bit in General -> Basic -> version.

3) Try with other version of OS.

Explorer

My issue was resolved with the option 1.

Thanks