Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Does Knox 0.6.0 on HDP 2.4.2 support HBase High Availability?

Highlighted

Does Knox 0.6.0 on HDP 2.4.2 support HBase High Availability?

New Contributor

I'm trying to test Knox HA failover between 2 HBase REST services but the failover does not seem to work. Knox only points to 1 (static) HBase REST server and does not pick up or failover to the other one when I kill the first one.

Does Knox 0.6.0 support HA on HBase REST services?

This seems to be missing from the Knox 0.6.0 documentation and added somewhere before 0.9.1.

Documentation for 0.6.0: https://knox.apache.org/books/knox-0-6-0/user-guide.html#High+Availability (Mentions failover for WebHDFS only)

Documentation for 0.9.1: https://knox.apache.org/books/knox-0-9-1/user-guide.html#Default+Service+HA+support (Mentions failover for OOZIE, HBASE REST and WEBHCAT)

I have followed the instructions for configuring HA for 0.9.1 using Knox 0.6.0 (just in case) but the failover does not work correctly. Connecting to Knox still refers to the old HBase REST server.

Is this expected, or does Knox 0.6.0 work with HA and HBase REST and is there a way to make this function correctly?

Otherwise, if we need to upgrade Knox versions manually, does this impact Hortonworks support? Are there any other considerations I should bear in mind if doing a manual upgrade?

I am aware HDP 2.5.0 is coming soon, but I can't find information on which Knox version will be available, plus I would rather wait until 2.5.x later on after a few patches.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Does Knox 0.6.0 on HDP 2.4.2 support HBase High Availability?

Rising Star

@Bjorn Olsen Knox support for HBASE HA is fixed in the later versions of Apache Knox as you mentioned. Rather than upgrading knox manually you can wait for HDP 2.5 release.

Rising Star

Rising Star
Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here