Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Does ambari allow multipule instances of zookeeper?

Master Guru

Does ambari allow multipule instances of zookeeper? I need two instances of zookeeper. One for all services except Solr and other for solr. Is this possible through ambari?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Sunile Manjee

In the current versions, this is not supported. Some users create a set of zookeeper for a component Solr and update the respective component's zookeeper parameters. But this isn't a clean way to run the setup. There is an enhancement request pending for this and is expected to be fixed in a future release of Ambari.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Super Guru

Hi

@Sunile Manjee

1. Yes. You can have multiple instances of zookeeper using ambari.

2. You can have one zookeeper for solr and other zookeeper for rest of other service.

You need to make sure you need to specify zookeeper quorum with zookeeper name within config properties of every service.

Eg. Below screenshot is for Yarn service - where zookeeper will be replace with your respective zk node name.

2783-screen-shot-2016-03-14-at-95954-pm.png

@Sunile Manjee

In the current versions, this is not supported. Some users create a set of zookeeper for a component Solr and update the respective component's zookeeper parameters. But this isn't a clean way to run the setup. There is an enhancement request pending for this and is expected to be fixed in a future release of Ambari.

@Sunile Manjee

Why not reuse the same Zookeeper? What is the advantage of a separate Zookeeper. I have deployed Solr Cloud with the same zookeeper as HDP, did not see any issues.

Master Guru

@Shivaji Lucid works is recommending separate install. I agree it can be done via install instance. However, I need to understand if ambari can manage seperate zookeeper instances

Master Guru

@vpoornalingam @Sagar Shimpi I am getting two conflicting responses in this post. So I am asking again. Through ambari can I maintain two separate instances of zookeeper?

Super Guru

@Sunile Manjee

I agree with @vpoornalingam and i see this enhancement is in pending state.

Ambari doesn't support that yet. We have a Jira for Ambari 3.0.0

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMBARI-14714

It will allow you to have multiple instances of the same service, and potentially at different stack versions, e.g., Spark 1.6.1, 1.7.0, etc.