Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

Does ambari support Postgres 9.5 or later?

Contributor

Hi,

Does Ambari support PostGres9.5 or later since 9.4 support is not available(after Dec2019)?

9 REPLIES 9

Mentor

@Rajesh Reddy

According to the Hortonworks documentation even the latest HDP 2.6.4 only support PostgreSQL 9.1.13+, 9.3, 9.4***

See Database Requirements

Contributor

Hi @Geoffrey Shelton Okot

Yes, I have seen that, We want to install HDF ans SAM, Schema registry require 9.5. So was wondering if ambari supports it or not rather than having two versions of PostGres.

Mentor

@Rajesh Reddy

Unfortunately, you will have 2 Postgres databases 9.4 and 9.5 or later for SAM and Schema Registry. HDF 3.1.1 runs with Ambari 2.6.0 and 2.6.1 which is only supported on 9.4.x.x as for now.

Contributor

@Geoffrey Shelton Okot By any chance does running ambari on 9.5 have any issue? We have a test cluster with ambari running on 9.6.8 with no issues till now. Want to make sure it doesn't have issues if used i Production.

Mentor

@Rajesh Reddy

I am usually itchy and very experimental 🙂 If I were you I could spin a VM and try it out with Ambari 2.6.x , usually hortonworks does very rigorous testing before certifying any product against HDP or HDF

Contributor

@Geoffrey Shelton Okot Ofcourse, we did that and its working and there is no warning in the ambari-server-check-database.log about the database version but since its not mentioned in support matrix, we are on crossroads.

Mentor

@Rajesh Reddy

Drop support an email if you have one maybe that's a good "guinea pig experiment" and be the first customers to roll it out 🙂

@Rajesh Reddy

You should be good if ambari is running on Postgres 9.5 without any issues. However Hortonworks has not performed compatibility tests and has not certified the same as of the latest Ambari version and could be available in coming versions. If you wish to go with the certified the version. I'd recommend you to use two different postgres versions for ambari and SAM.

Contributor

Hortonworks support said it supports 9.4.