Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Does hard restart of agent delete data?

Re: Does hard restart of agent delete data?

Champion

@sim6 @Nawaz1 

Several times we have done this simulation in our testing enviroment ,its kind of wired we never faced suck problem . Just curious to know if you have HS2 configured what about ur database for metastore , is it a shared metastore for impala ? I would  inspect the fsimage and edits log file using offline imagine viewer . dont alter unless you are confident .Just to see if its  corrupt fsimage / edits 

Rising Star

Doing a hard restart will not cause data loss, but may I ask why made you do a hard restart in the first place? This might shed some light as to what has gone wrong.

What do the contents of /user/hive/warehouse look like? If there are no files there then either your database files have been deleted or your tables are stored elsewhere. Try running "show create table table_name" to see where the files are located for one of your tables. If there are no data files in this location then they may have been moved or deleted.

Check your namenode logs to see if there were any actions that might have resulted in this happening. It could be someone has moved the warehouse directory by mistake, in which case the files won't match the Hive metadata.

Regards,

Jim

New Contributor

I was having some problem with hue server, so i restarted the cluster which seems to have fixed the problem with hue. But after the restart i dont see the /user/hive/warehouse directory anymore. I can see in hdfs charts that the disk used has gone down in a straight line after the restart from about 500 GB to around 50. 

I have gone through hdfs-audit and namenode logs but i didnt find anything there. And the location for data storage of hive tables is defaut i.e /user/hive/warehouse. 

Rising Star
Hi,
If the data is no longer there then it is likely that it has been deleted. Even if you were missing blocks because some of the data nodes did not start up you should still see the metadata i.e. the directory. Is /user/hive/warehouse completely missing or is it empty?

Check your NameNode logs to see if there is any unusual activity. It could be that one of your users mistakenly deleted the data. If you look in Hive do you still see the tables or are those missing too?

Regards,
Jim

New Contributor

the warehouse directory is completely missing. And i see the metadata in tables. And i m sure no one else had access to delete the directories.