Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

Dose CDH support CENTOS 6.3?

New Contributor

Dose CDH support CENTOS 6.3? My system is CENTOS 6.3,  unfortunately I only find centos 6.4 is supported by CDH. Can I install CDH5 on my CENTOS 6.3 system?  To be honset, I am realutant to upgrade the sytem if possible

3 REPLIES 3

Super Collaborator

Yes

Per here:

http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera-content/cloudera-docs/CM4Ent/latest/Cloudera-Manager-Instal...

tested on 6.2 and 6.4.  

We support 6.3 as well.  The one major issue on 6.3 is the Transparent Hugepages issue.

If you use cloudera manager (free edition or enterprise edition) to manage the cluster, the host inspector will point this out when adding hosts to the cluster as well as how to address this. (or running the host inspector from the hosts tab and looking at the report results).

New Contributor

Appreciate your help. Without the THP(Transparent Huge Page), it is hard to efficiently manage the large memory(such as 1T memory). so is it means that the performance will be slower if I run CDH5 on Centos 6.3 than run CDH5 on Centos 6.4?

Super Collaborator

The implementation has bugs in it up through 6.4 release of the OS (RHEL, CentOS, Oracle Linux), which fixes the problems.  We instruct that the compaction function be disabled in 6.2, 6.3 releases.  In those older releases, we instruct to disable compaction, bypassing a problematic series of low level memory management activities.  The impact of having it enabled is significantly bad in those releases, bypassing any indended advantage.

Todd