Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Downgrade did not finalize, cannot proceed to upgrade.

Downgrade did not finalize, cannot proceed to upgrade.

New Contributor

Hi,

After trying to upgrade to 2.6.3 and failing I proceeded to a downgrade back to 2.6.2

The downgrade finished with the following error: (Finalize Downgrade -> Save Cluster State -> Save Cluster State)

Reason: There is an existing downgrade from 2.6.3.0-235 which has not completed. This downgrade must be completed before a new upgrade or downgrade can begin.

And the stderr output:

org.apache.ambari.server.AmbariException: The following 1 host component(s) have not been downgraded to their desired versions:
host_a5: NODEMANAGER (current = 2.6.3.0-235, desired = 2.6.2.0-205)

But this command from the ambari server returned: (https://community.hortonworks.com/questions/141083/hdp-262-upgrade-stuck.html)

psql ambari -U ambari...
SELECT h.host_name, hcs.service_name, hcs.component_name, hcs.version FROM hostcomponentstate hcs JOIN hosts h ON hcs.host_id = h.host_id ORDER BY hcs.version, hcs.service_name, hcs.component_name, h.host_name;
host_a5 | YARN           | NODEMANAGER             | 2.6.2.0-205 
host_a6 | YARN           | NODEMANAGER             | 2.6.2.0-205
host_a7 | YARN           | NODEMANAGER             | 2.6.2.0-205
host_a8 | YARN           | NODEMANAGER             | 2.6.2.0-205

Any ideas?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Downgrade did not finalize, cannot proceed to upgrade.

Cloudera Employee

Hello Aviram,

I would try to execute a REST API command to check if there is anything else still using the previous version of HDP, something like that:

curl -u $AMBARI_USER:$AMBARI_PASSWD -H 'X-Requested-By: ambari' -X GET "http://<ambari-server:8080/api/v1/clusters/<cluster_name>/hosts/host_a5" | grep 2.6.3.0-235

This would give you an idea if all the components were indeed upgraded.

Regards

Danilo Perez

New Contributor

Thank you for the reply,

The grep returned no match, I again see that NodeManager is at 2.6.2. (by changing the grep cmd)

The problem is that the upgrade/downgrade process shows differently and prevents me from moving forward.

Super Mentor

@Aviram Voda

Please check the following Table.

SELECT * FROM hostcomponentstate WHERE component_name = 'NODEMANAGER';

If that shows the incorrect version then try to fix it (After taking a Ambari DB backup).

Then restart Ambari Server.

Highlighted

New Contributor

Thanks Jay,

The output is the same, all showing the correct version but one showing upgrade state = NONE:

id  | cluster_id | component_name |   version   | current_state | host_id | service_name | upgrade_state | security_state
-----+------------+----------------+-------------+---------------+---------+--------------+---------------+----------------
 251 |          2 | NODEMANAGER    | 2.6.2.0-205 | STARTED       |       1 | YARN         | NONE          | UNSECURED
 168 |          2 | NODEMANAGER    | 2.6.2.0-205 | STARTED       |      51 | YARN         | COMPLETE      | UNSECURED
  35 |          2 | NODEMANAGER    | 2.6.2.0-205 | STARTED       |       2 | YARN         | COMPLETE      | UNSECURED
 202 |          2 | NODEMANAGER    | 2.6.2.0-205 | STARTED       |     101 | YARN         | COMPLETE      | UNSECURED
(4 rows)

Updating the column upgrade_state to COMPLETE did not help as well.

The server was restarted as well a few times.

Contributor

hi Aviram, how did you resolve this?

New Contributor

I have the similar problem. Is there a solution to this issue?

New Contributor

I solved my problem by follow the steps in this link: https://community.cloudera.com/t5/Support-Questions/HDP-Upgrade-blocked-by-another-INTERNAL-REQUEST/...

Super Mentor

@Toky Raobelina

Please check the "clusters" table and if you find any previous "upgrade_id" there then please try setting that to NULL (this null should be your Database specific NULL value) and then restart ambari server.

UPDATE clusters SET upgrade_id=NULL;
Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here