Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Duration of the software licences

New Contributor

Hi - i'm looking at subscribing to Cloudera but have a question about use of the software as I may not be able to continue the subscription year on year.  If I download / use some Cloudera / Hortonworks software during my subscription, I think that the licence allows me to use that software forever (even after my subscription ends).  Is that correct?  

When the subscription ends I think it just means that I won't be able to access updates or support.

2 REPLIES 2

Hello @AJM ,

thank you for reaching out regarding what happens after your subscription license expires. Please kindly specify the exact version you are planning to use to be able to provide you with a more accurate answer.

In this thread, we discussed that e.g. in CDH6 with a trial license you can install Cloudera Express and it has a 100 nodes limitation. Once any license expires, the documentation describes here what happens:

• Cloudera Enterprise Cloudera Enterprise Trial - Enterprise features are disabled.
  • Cloudera Enterprise - Most enterprise features such as Navigator, reports, Auto-TLS, and fine-grained permissions are disabled. Key Trustee KMS and the Key Trustee server will continue to function on the cluster, but you cannot change any configurations or add any services. Navigator will not continue to collect audits, but existing audits will remain on disk in the Cloudera Manager audit table. On license expiration, the license expiration banner displays which enterprise features have been disabled.

With our latest product, CDP, you can find the licensing information here.

Please let us know if you need more information on this topic.

Thank you:
Ferenc

Ferenc Erdelyi, Technical Solutions Manager

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

Learn more about the Cloudera Community:

Master Guru

@AJM  The valid license means the Enterprise features availability. If your subscription ends then your Software suit will work but:

1. You will not be able to use some explicit features[1] in that as stated here. 

2. You will not be able to avail Cloudera Support on that product. 

[1] https://docs.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/latest/topics/cm_ag_licenses.html#cmug_topic_13_7

Cheers!
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.